Hillbilly Elegy

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tar Volon, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is a real thing. I have, myself, been critical of people that seemed too "hillbilly" earlier in my life. And was on the other side of it when I lived in Connecticut for two years.

I have told this story before, but I was talking about getting cable so I could watch UT football in Hartford, and a guy at work asked me "So, ah, do you have cable down there [in Tennessee]?"

"Uh, yeah Bob, we have cable."

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

My family was/is pretty rooted in it.

4. Tar Volon

Glad there's somebody talking about it. I feel like the rural whites are often forgotten or outright belittled by conservatives and liberals alike

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Webb from the democrats has a good book about it. I know that they take the attack on coal personal and has hurt a lot of families

6. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

It is a good book and understanding Scots-Irish history is important to understanding many dynamics at play in the rural south. With coal though I think it's damaging for Trump to go in all these dead WV and KY towns and say that he'll bring back coal. I get it, he's telling them what they want to hear. Coal in those regions has been dying a slow death for a long time and that isn't going to change.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Part of it is market influence with fracking making natural gas so much cheaper, but he's going to win a lot of the rust belt by being pro energy while Hilary has came out and basically said she wants to end coal.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I can remember domestic exchange students in high school coming over here from California with a sense of intellectual superiority. Didn't take too long to discover they were the dumb ones.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Droski?

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

White privilege

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Teachers expected me to be a deviant because I came from two fairly rough families and was the product of teen pregnancy. Once I got out of the town I grew up in, it was fine.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ha. I think droski would have run circles around these guys. We had good public schools and I think these guys were thinking there would be dirt floors and textbooks teaching us that the earth is flat. They were for some reason really interested in knowing our SAT scores (I suppose so they could gloat) and were blown away at how much better ours were.

13. Tar Volon

I still think this is a thing. A poor white guy (who happens to be particularly bright or have unusual opportunities) can go off to college, clean himself up, lose the accent, and be treated much better than a poor black guy doing the same thing.

That said, whites are clearly not immune to marginalization

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Poor black guy is getting a full ride, though.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'm very thankful for and proud of my grandparents on mom's side who were raised in white trash environments but worked hard at Alcoa and made a better life for my mom and her brother. They've been ridiculed by siblings all their lives for being too big for their britches, which was completely untrue and the product of jealousy. It was definitely religion that changed their lives for the better so I can relate to a lot of the article.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

In Tennessee I was Union County trash. I move away, and I'm just a sharp guy. That's white privilege.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I assume you are speaking hypothetically.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep, working your ass off and going to school was a given because you're white, right?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I spent 3 weeks in Hartford for training once. I'm not convinced Tuscaloosa is more redneck or backwater.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

How dare you!