Webb named starting qb

Discussion in 'Cal Bears' started by droski, Aug 4, 2016.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Doesn't matter, they're gonna struggle

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

For whom?

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

depends on your definition of struggle. I could easily see another 7-5 season. schedule is very manageable. the margin between 4 and 8 wins is pretty small.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Struggle to stay above .500

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yup. 6 wins will be a good season. JMO

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's Dykes 4th year. Just 6 wins won't show me much. Offense will be good. Defense could be horrific once again. Schedule is very manageable. Mediocre d and cal is 8-4.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Welcome to cal football. Water is wet

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

That's a given

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

What's left to show from Dykes? Is there something he might change your mind on?

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd like to see him beat someone with better talent than him i.e beat Stanford, usc, ucla, or oregon. We haven't really even been competitive with those teams. He's beaten maybe one or two teams total where he's been the underdog and zero where he hasn't had equivalent or better talent with most his wins coming against teams with inferior talent.

I'd also like to see him recruit better in particular on defense. A good recruiter at Cal should average top 20 recruiting classes given the local talent and advantages. I'd say compared to the last say 20 years of cal recruiting, he's a below average recruiter.

I actually think he's a slightly above mediocre head coach in general and therefore probably about cal's level given our shitty administration support, though I can always hope we can do better. I'd rather fire him and take the chance we get lucky, than be say a perennial 5-8 win team which I feel is his level. he'd really show something if he went say 8-4 this year and beat someone decent. I doubt it will happen though.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

In other words, he sucks. That isn't changing, even if he stumbles into a win over his head.

Even Botch will stumble into a win someday and he'll still suck donkeys.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't have tenn level expectations. I actually think he's a reasonably decent talent evaluator, good offensive coordinator and qb coach, and pretty good at in game decisions. he also has been handed idiotic new academic restrictions. he can't recruit like botch though. but yes it's highly unlikely he will ever win anything of note and that is why I will want him gone if he doesn't prove otherwise this year. i'd rather roll the dice at sucking even worse than having no chance at being decent, but sadly most of the alumni disagree with me. he won't get fired unless he completely bottoms out like tedford.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Once it's apparent that winning isn't part of the deal, it's time to move on.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I agree