Plate Racing

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Beechervol, Feb 20, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

It seems like they have tried everything with these packages to make a great race, while separating the pack in an attempt to save of the wreck that wipes out 20 cars.

The 2x2 crap was boring to me, but these new changes seem to make it harder to draft the cars the way the drivers want to drive them. After watching the Shootout, it seems like they have a car the cant take aggressive drafting techniques. (which are entertaining to me)

I see the qualifiers and the 500 being littered with wrecks where no one is trying to pass anyone directly, but a small bump on the wrong side of a bumper sets it off.

JMO.

2. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I'm expecting a ruling by Thursday banning touching bumpers in the turns, been done before.

3. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

the shoot out was more exciting than the 2x2 racing

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

it was a demolition derby. i don't get the fascination with wrecking.

5. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

wasn't talking about the wrecks, talking more about seeing one car make a run

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

if sunday goes like it did last saturday there may only be one car.

7. Beechervol

As much as I hate seeing wrecks on lap 27 that takes out top contenders that have nothing to do with the wreck, it would be better than banning it IMO. It seemed like they had a package several years ago that allowed the cars to bump and push through the turns and it didn't upset the cars near as much. They can't make em wreck proof, but it just seems like it doesn't take much to turn these cars around.

8. Beechervol

The style of racing is more entertaining, no doubt.

9. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

As long as they have the plates, it won't matter what they do; it'll always be a wreckfest as long as one car is hooked on to another. It happened with the two car drafts last year, and it'll always happen with the multi-car drafts. It's mind-blowing now looking back on the CAUTION FREE races at Talladega in 2001 and 2002, especially '01 when they had the fins on the roof and wicker things on the spoiler which kept all 40 cars in one big wad.

Basically plate racing blows.

10. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I know "some" are fascinated by the wrecks but I believe that's a very small minority. We have to remember the Shootout always is wilder and crazier than the rest of the races during Speedweeks. No points, checkers or wreckers mentality prevails. I may completely eat my words but look for both of the 150s to be much tamer than the Shootout and the first 3/4 of the 500 to be pretty tame as well. Sure, there's always a chance some numbskull will pop someone in the left rear in a 150 and set off a multi car crash but I just don't see them being nearly as aggressive as they were in the Shootout. There's only really 3-4 guys in each 150 having to race their way into the 500 with the top 35 rule we have now.

I like the new drafting for the most part. They use a little of the push drafting along with alot of traditional drafting. I'll argue until the cows come home about how much more I like traditional pack drafting than the 2x2 stuff simply because drivers aren't handcuffed to ONE other car the entire race. That's the epitome of boring IMO. I think if they calm down a little you'll see drivers actually being able to work drafting strategies on Thursday and Sunday and the packs will spread out a bit with pit stops - more like the mid 2000s. And if you like the 2x2 racing NASCAR hasn't changed the Camping World or Nationwide rules so you'll see plenty of 2x2 racing in both of those races this weekend I'm sure. Actually, that's probably all you'll see in those two races.

11. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I disagree, it is a larger percentage than that. Just listen to all the complaints about they ruined Bristol. The reason it is considered ruined is the number of wrecks is less.

12. Beechervol

They have grooved Bristol to where you can pass without any contact on a lot of occasions. I think it took away what made Bristol great, not the wrecks per se, but the physical racing it demanded.