People who constantly quote bible verses

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

are beginning to annoy the hell out of me. This may be geared more toward the college/high school crowd who are more in tune with facebook and twitter, but do you guys have friends or people who you follow that just belt out verse after verse after verse like they are getting paid to do it? It's the most annoying thing i have ever seen, especially when they don't live by half the shit they post. I'm a Catholic. I believe in a lot of stuff and i have faith. I don't feel like i need to go around posting bible verses every 5 seconds to show that i am a man of God. It's almost like they are doing it as a way to show off or making themselves seem more religious. I can understand the occasional post, but if you have 5+ in a day or 3+ in an hour or two, wtf?

/rant.

Thoughts?

2. WM

WM Active Member

Thanks to your thread I now know where to get a bible degree online.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, people who comment on these posts, claiming that they are "so inspirational" and "show your passion for God" make me want to off myself. It takes two seconds to hit control c, click update status, and hit control v. It doesn't show jack shit about the person's passion for God. If you wanna show your passion for God, go on a [uck fay]ing mission trip or become a [uck fay]ing nun. As you can see, this is really starting to bother me. I just can't believe how fake people are about religion, and how they use it as a way to make themselves seem like better people. And people are dumb enough to eat that shit up. Infuriating.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

are you a religious man, WM? If so, do you show your love for God and your fellow man by posting statuses or tweeting tweets of bible verses, or do you do things like volunteer in your community, attend mass, donate to charity, etc.?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

As an open non-believer, I enjoy quoting bible verses in such a way as to contradict those people's post content whenever they happen to be posting something OTHER than a bible verse. It's like I am making an irony sandwich, and boy is it delicious.

6. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I don't have a problem with it

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not nearly as annoying as the "Repost this or you don't love Jesus" posts, which consequently hit social media about the time the female 60+ crowd did.

Pretty much anybody whose FB/Twitter posts are ONLY about one thing annoy me.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

On the flip side, why bother learning Bible verses if you don't believe in the message?

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I also believe people should be well-read in texts other than just the Bible. If the Bible is the only text you ever read, how will you ever defend it?

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I tend to agree with you Indy. It is immature and bush-league. I think evangelical Christianity resonates with young people in a way the more liturgical churches can't at that age. But it is sort of phase that passes as you grow older or get more mature.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't necessarily disagree with Evangelical Christianity as a whole. I just think there are better ways to spread the word other than in social media.

12. CardinalVol

I'm willing to bet it's 90% females who post it. It's just how they are hard-wired. Second, it's how EC is "marketed" towards the college age crowd for some reason. Very few churches get deep with high school and college kids. As these folks get older, some lose the religious high, other realize it's a lot deeper and broader than just quoting bible verses.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I have to go with this. I admire those that are so convicted that they truly immerse themselves in their beliefs. BUT, those that do it for the 'look at how pious I am' angle (politicians in particular) infuriate me. Unfortunately, there is no way to 100% differentiate the two groups, so we just have to do the best we can, I guess.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I might experiment and post a bible verse that does not exist, just to see how many people like it.

15. CardinalVol

Jesus had a fun name for this group - brood of vipers.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Well put.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

What bothers me more than the Bible verses are the people who overspiritualize every event in their lives in their social media posts. "is it God's will for me to take this job? Date/break up with this guy? Go to the mall? Get a smoothie?". I agree also that it's 98% females who are like this. For the record I'm kind of a Baptist/reformed theology guy.

And also the people who post the photo with whichever event next to the starving African children and try to make you feel guilty. I'll never say I've done enough but I have been around the world a few times doing mission work and I'll wager 90% of people who post that stuff haven't.

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Clearly, to mock, alone.

IPO is the natural byproduct of (likely) years of suffering overzealous Christians who attempted too much, while knowing too little. And who then attempted to apply a bastardized version of "faith" and "belief" as a last -ditch effort to answer the uncomfortable, yet entirely valid and reasonable questions he posed in response. Unwilling to similarly check his intellectual honesty at the door, he refused, and was then likely subject to all manner of nonsensically retaliatory responses and threats - notably, regarding eternal damnation (which is funny in its own right, because threatening an atheist with eternal damnation is akin to warning most people about the dangers of unicorns).

He not only felt attacked, but likely grew to greatly resent their methods and the irony that such arose from those who attempted it at the behest of an all-loving, all-powerful and all-knowing God, in whom they espoused belief, and hoped to convince him to do the same. Thus, he wields the notably large axe which you see exampled here, and who's edge has become razor sharp from years of honing it against any grindstone, real or imagined.

I think that IPO, like most atheists, live most of their lives purporting and protecting a certainty of the correctness of their position, and yet never being absolutely certain (or why waste the time to argue the point, at all?) of its inarguable truth. And so, despite however confrontational it appears on the surface, they seek to engage these discussions in an earnest attempt to resolve the matter, both fully and finally, and to a definitive conclusion - whichever direction that may be.

If Christians sought God with even a fraction of the earnest demanding and honest tenacity as that of most atheists - the church would be transformed, quite literally, overnight.

But then, he may be a member of that smaller faction of atheists who simply do not wish their to be a God, whatsoever - and who would reject him, even if absolute proof of his existence was provided. But I doubt that he is a member of this group, given that his intellectual capacity allows him to see this fallacy for what it is - little more than the opposite or reverse of those "believers" who seek to assert similarly strong and unwavering beliefs (though opposite from his own) in the absence of commensurate aid of equally compelling evidences.

What IPO may not know (but he likely does, as he is infinitely more learned than both myself and most others on matters of theology and religion) is that some of Christianity's greatest figures - martyrs, apologetics, etc. - held similar positions of atheism at some point in their life, and who often ponint to this time as being foundational in the their eventual conversion.

But, yes, IP would rather climb a tree to argue with a believer than to stand on the ground and avoid it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Why make one up, when there are so many, such as this:

"Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock." Psalms 137:9 NAB

Just quote the book / chapter / verse alone, and see how many "Like it", most likely without considering or having even read it.

20. CardinalVol

Didn't realize Tenny D moonlighted as CS Lewis.

Good stuff there.