A question for the health freaks

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm 5'9, and my weight fluctuates between 170-175. I eat well. Healthy foods. Lots of veggies, ham, turkey, roast beef, chicken, some fruits, no fat yogurt, wheat bread, salad without dressing, etc. I work out a lot and do abs 5 times a week. Why don't i have a six pack? and what can i do to get one?

I have been told my metabolism is probably slow. Should i take something to speed it up?

I typically go very light breakfast because i am pressed for time in the mornings and don't have a whole lot of healthy options. I eat a solid lunch and a solid dinner. Small snacks in between all of this include granola bars, wheat thins, rice cakes, fruits, animal crackers, and almonds. I take a protein shake with dinner because it is right after my workout on most nights.

Any suggestions from the health freaks of 8thmaxim? If more info is needed, I'd gladly offer it. No Tenny D, that info does not include naked pics or even shirtless pics.

2. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

What do you drink on a daily basis?

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Body fat?

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Eat more pizza. It's the perfect food. Contains all the basic food groups if you order smartly.......

Sorry had to do it. Hope you get your answers shorty, er, Indy. :)

5. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Eat a bigger breakfast and smaller dinner. Especially if you're adding a protein shake to your dinner. You can do abs all day long, but you have to shed that weight around the ab muscles (doing abs does nothing to burn the fat around it other than a typical calorie burn. You're just making the muscles bigger underneath). If you're eating chicken, roast beef and yogurt you're prolly even getting enough protein anyways. Take a multivitamin in the morning and a calcium tablet. The calcium will increase your metabolic rate and help you burn the fat faster. What's your daily caloric intake? Granola and all that can quickly jack your intake way up.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

A lot of water. Occasional Gatorade. Skim milk once a day (usually with the protein). orange juice.

uhh around 14% before i left to come to school. I don't know how it has fluctuated since arriving here for the semester, but my maxes in lifts have gone up and my weight hasn't, so I assume it's a little lower now.

Middle-finger.jpg

I do take a multivitamin every day. It's hard to know my daily caloric intake since my meals are eaten at the dining hall.

What if a bigger breakfast isn't really an option? I work out 6am-730 Mon, Wed, Fri, and then have class at 8am. Tues Thurs i have class at 8 am, so if i got up like 45 minutes earlier i could get breakfast, but I don't know that sacrificing that sleep would be worth it. When i say breakfast, i mean healthy breakfast. I could stroll in there and get the quick breakfast (powdered eggs, hashbrowns, tots, bacon, sausage, etc.). In order to get a little more healthy breakfast, you have to wait in a line to get eggs cooked to order or an omelet. I typically don't have the time to wait for that.

I will have to look into the calcium tablet. What are ways to better burn the fat around the ab muscles? Just more running and cardio stuff? or is there a specific exercise you have in mind?

EDIT: I do have time on tuesdays and thursdays to grab breakfast between my 8am and 9:45. 3 scrambled eggs with ham and cheese mixed in. bowl of pineapple, grapes, and watermelon, 2 glasses of water and a glass of skim milk.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  7. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Body fat. Cut it to 7-9%.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

well obviously cutting body fat is the goal. I figured that was understood. The point of this thread was more or less to receive pointers on how to better do that.

Also, I play football, so cutting it as far as 7-9% may not be necessary or beneficial.

9. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Bodybuilding.com - Huge Online Supplement Store & Fitness Community!

Research cutting. All the answers you need are on that website.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lol i'm aware of websites. I can go out and search for the information if this fails, but i started the thread to get the opinions of the people on this site. Plus, websites always try to promote their supplements and act like you need their stuff.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not to belittle the knowledge of anyone here, but I'd your program has a trainer or nutritionist I'd say either would probably be a better source of info.

You may have a tough time cutting calories while also making it through you training program. You dont want to make it harder on yourself to add muscle.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

He's looking for a six pack.

13. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I workout nearly every single day of my life. But I really do it for the mental health of it. I don't watch what I eat....at all, and so I'm hardly a health freak, but I do have a body like Marky Mark (more the Boogie Nights version than the Calvin Klein version) so I can opine.

Whether you have a six pack is going to be dictated by how much you work out moreso than what you eat. Also, dont' do abs -- it's a waste of time. Do stuff that stengthens your core, but don't do a bunch of damn situps. That's something women do. Also, focus more on lifting weights than cardio. Lifting weights (a) is cardio if you aren't doing it half ass, and (b) increases muscle growth and testosterone which helps melt away fat and also increases your desire to [uck fay] a lot of [itch bay]es. Running actually decreases testosterone. A "cardio" exercise like hitting the heavy bag is a much better alternative because your working your muscles as well. DO lift legs. Lunges are great. Explosive stuff is great. Squats are okay, but I prefer the dynamic to the static.

At the end of the day, whether you have a six pack or not is going to be dictated more by mother nature than what you do in the gym. For some guys that little extra layer of tummy fat just doesn't wanna come off. But by the time a girl knows whether or not you have a six pack, that means you're getting naked with her, and so the existence or non-existence of said six pack wasn't such a big deal anyway.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Change your snacks. Granola bars, wheat thins, rice cakes, and animal crackers aren't too healthy. Fruit and pick one of peanut butter/almonds/cheese for a better option.

15. kidbourbon

\

Disregard all of the above and go with nutrageous bars exclusively.

Not to belittle 53, but this talk of minor tweaks to diet is making me laugh. Floyd Mayweather eats fast food for every meal. If you work out regularly and your body is meant to have a six pack, you'll get a six pack. Granola vars vs. handi-snacks isn't going to dictate the outcome one way or another.

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Why do you train abs five days a week? It's all about diet.

17. kidbourbon

Nobody listens to ole KidB anymore.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Begin posting 45 posts per day every day. Works every time for cutting body fat.

19. chavisut

Genetics. Just because Floyd Mayweather can do it doesn't mean the average guy can do it. I have a buddy who doesn't workout and eats mostly fast food or processed frozen food and he stays lean. If I did that I would look like shit.

20. chavisut

Because you're wrong about diet.
    Sounds like you're ectomorph so you have a lot more freedom with what you can eat.