Coaching Confidence/Situations at Tennessee

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Feb 23, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What is your level of confidence in out three big coaches? Also, who has the toughest situation heading into the next season or current season for Serrano?

I would say the level of difficulty, from easiest to toughest would be football, basketball, then baseball. My level of confidence would probably be highest in Serrano, then Martin, then Dooley.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I would have to agree with you KPT.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree kpt.

Raleigh was by far the worst coach employed at Tennessee. All 3 coaches have been dealt pretty bad hands, but Dooley had Hunter and Bray already here for him. Martin had Maymon. Serrano really has nothing.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Toughest situation is whoever has the unenviable task of taking over for Pat Summit.

But yes, I agree with everyone else.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Level of difficulty in achieving what metric?

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Serrano-7 out of 10 I do not really follow baseball, but I have heard nothing but good things, so im hopeful.

Martin- 6 out of 10 Seems to have a good plan in place, players seem to like and respect him.

Dooley- 5 out of 10- I want Dooley to succeed, and I think we have a shot at a nice year, but still not sold on his coaching abilities, though i do think he will improve, but will it be enough?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

One strong recruiting class from Martin, and I am completely sold.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm not talking about the hand Dooley was dealt, but the one he now holds going into the 2012 season, which is a decent one. A lot of that is because of the last couple of years recruiting.

9. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I agree with that. Something i have been wondering, does martin cut some of the scrubs he signed last year just to fill out the roster if he signs a good class this year?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I kind of hope so.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not so sure about that. UT is still as big a school as there is in women's bball. There isn't a whole lot that compares. We should still be able to dominate recruiting with a halfway decent coach.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Good question. I'd say getting to the point of being SEC title contenders.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I don't know anything about women's basketball but I don't think it is to anyone's advantage to follow Pat Summit.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

If SEC titles are the metric, then Dooley may have it as hard as Cuonzo Martin.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Doubt the next coach will have the same level of success, but there is one other school in the country on the same level as the Lady Vols. No reason we shouldn't continue to be a power.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd say winning the SEC East would qualify UT as a contender. Freaking South Carolina just ran the table on the division, so I think that status is far from unattainable.

17. dknash

dknash Chieftain

On the other hand, Dooley is on the hot seat to at least some degree. Plus, there is infinitely more scrutiny on the football program than baseball, and Hart didn't hire Dooley. I'd say Dooley has the advantage in the ability to have a good season (on a neutral scale - something like Chick-fil-A Bowl), but Serrano has the advantage in having a season that will placate the fanbase/administration.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think Todd Raleigh thought he was coaching cricket. Serrano has his work cut out for him. It will not be easy for him to win anything any time soon.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

7.5 out of 10 for Martin.

2.5 out of 10 for Dooley.

I think Dooley has it every bit as hard as the other guys, if not harder. His job performance gets far more attention from the fan base and Tennessee's two biggest rivals have won 4 of the last 6 national championships.

I don't know a damn thing about college baseball, so I feel like I shouldn't comment on it.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You never want to be the coach that follows a legend.