Tennessee Football as Entertainment

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MWR, Sep 23, 2016.

1. MWR

MWR Contributor

Just curious if I'm the only one who finds Coach Jones' UT football teams difficult to watch?

I watched the Vols in the 70s whenever I got the chance. I thought the Vols were entertaining back then, even if they were not very good. In the 80s, they were fun to watch, same in the 90's and the early 2000s. I enjoyed watching Kiffin's team, and for that matter, Dooley's teams were more entertaining (the Dooleywhacker 4-5-4 defense was truly innovative) than the current version of the Vols.

I know some football fans just love the running game of 3 yards and a pile of dust and others enjoy a high powered passing game. It seems to me that Butch's contribution has been neither. Instead the Vols now seem to run the 1 yard and a cloud of dust offense.

Myself, I find this extremely boring. And difficult to watch. It's getting to where I'd just as soon spend my Saturdays doing something else other than watching the style of football UT is now playing. Then I see the stadium full and fans going wild over a so so team.

So, does anyone else find UT's current team very low on entertainment value?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The offense is so dumb, so idiotic, so moronic, so stupid, so predictable, so infantile, so pigheaded, so...so...retarded, that it actually HURTS to watch them play.

I watch other teams, any team, and their offenses are generally fun to watch. Our scheme is horrid.

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Yes, a thousand times yes. People think I'm crazy when I say I hate Butch more than Dooley. There are a number of reasons for that, but a big one is that even in the 2012 disaster the offense was fun to watch.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Are you new here?

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No. Run game is pathetic. Get bored watching Hurd try to wrestle his way forward for modest gains. Passing game is perhaps even worse.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We have had some fun special teams plays.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It's pretty crazy.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Dooley had his fair share of offenses that were unbelievably awful. Matt Simms was so bad it was almost as if he was coached to miss the receivers.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

I can't believe an NFL franchise even took time for that guy, even if it was the Jets, or the fact that his name's Simms

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He's still on the Falcons practice squad. Amazing he couldn't do better here. At his worst he made Dobbs look like a marksman.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It makes me angry, it's not really entertainment. I had to walk outside to cuss the coaching staff over Coleman Thomas at RT

12. MWR

MWR Contributor

Sometimes.

13. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Stay inside next time and take a couple of good shots.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Even the wins are excruciating.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

His offense is ugly not because of style, but by total lack of substance.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

It's all toppings and no crust

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That sounds pretty good.

18. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Yeah. That sounds way better than a Butch offense.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

4 year old, 2 year old and a sleeping newborn

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The sooner they learn about rage and profanity, the sooner they can be Vols fans.