Best Coach in the SEC East

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Who is it?

Mason has shown nothing. Kentucky fans think Mark Stoops is in the middle of a Dooley-style implosion. Muschamp is Muschamp.

Then you've got Butch, McElwain, and a pair of defensive coordinators in their first month in charge.

Before this week, I probably would've said McElwain. Figured he's at least competent, and you know what they say about the one-eyed man in the land of the blind. But now? Is it Kirby Smart? Is Butch, for all his flaws, in the conversation?

We talk about how it takes a lot to be an SEC-level coach, and in the SEC West, that's doubtlessly true. But the East is real bad right now. I'm not sure it'll take a lot of coaching talent to boss this division until the next round of hires.

2. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

tallest midget

3. Tar Volon

Yes. What I'm wondering is who the tallest midget is.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Still McElwain IMO

5. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

Agreed, though I'm not 100% sold on Muschamp not being better. Had some tough breaks at FL. SC was gonna be terrible this year regardless. We'll see how he progresses.

And Butch may be in the conversation.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Butch is a hard worker and has done his job recruiting. However he's still out of his league at this level.

He's way too conservative while running a system that requires you to open it up. The only way he comes out of his shell is when he's forced to by being down. I don't think at this point in his career you can expect him to change that

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am going to reluctantly back the notion that at this moment in time, Butch has a chance to edge out McElwain going forward. It's clearly McElwain until someone else manages to win the East division. It can't be Butch because he has beaten himself more times than he has beaten anyone else around the East.

8. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Still going with McElwain.

9. Tar Volon

No fans of Smart in here I see. I mean, the early returns aren't great, but he was a hot name for so long.

I'm just over Saban assistants.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Smart only one who hasn't proven, beyond doubt, that he's anything other than an awful coach.

11. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

On the one hand I want to say McElwain.
    On the other hand, McElwain just lost to Butch, after getting spotted 21 points.

That's just stupid.

12. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

They all stink. MAC level coaches.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

If he loses to Butch, I think he's well on his way to making a strong case.

14. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Smart may turn out to be a good one. He is just obviously extremely unproven at this point.

15. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Tough breaks?

Dude was at friggin Florida.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  16. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Jim Chaney will be the undoing of Smart....Gives up on the run way too easy.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Didn't at Arkansas.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

He didn't have much leash there I always assumed.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

19. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Dude went 4-8 and lost to Georgia Southern in the Swamp. He sucks.

20. Tar Volon

Also went 4-1 in one-score games his second year at Florida. And that's not even including beating South Carolina with 183 yards of offense.