Pat Knight - Lamar

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Feb 25, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

[video=youtube;2XyZvOaeeqM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XyZvOaeeqM[/video]I don't think I've noticed anyone mention this, but I saw the Huggins presser and wondered if this was the week for this stuff. The younger Knight completely rapes the seniors on his roster with an epic GTFO to begin the conference to one of his players. I meant to put this here the other day, but didn't get around to it and thought someone surely beat me to the punch. Anyway, I have to wonder, as a teacher, if this particular generation is wearing on a lot of no-nonsense coaches. I know it's a rite of passage to flay the youth, but there is a distinct sense of entitlement that has run through the youth of the past 10-15 years and now the reaping of these seeds being grown s occurring.

In any event, it's nice to see the younger version of Knight has some of the same mettle as the father.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I didn't find anything he said objectionable or over the line, with one notable exception. You don't just toss the word "drugs" out there casually in that situation. That's reckless. That stuff stays in house unless someone gets arrested. Otherwise, I think that's a coach trying to reach his team and using an option of last resort to do so.

3. Unimane

I agree and do think some kid got arrested for possession, plus some other suspensions, just off the top of my head. It sounded to me like the rant was as much, maybe more, directed to the underclassmen as in this type of shit won't be tolerated and if I have to sacrifice this group of worthless players, then so be it. Still, the opening is classic to me. I've never seen that before.

4. hatvol96

Lamar won by 23 on the road tonight.

5. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Gary Parrish was telling some absolutely hilarious stories about Pat Knight on Memphis radio. Apparently he throws some of the wildest parties in the coaching profession.

6. hatvol96

That rant obviously destroyed that team. It's not like they are about to wrap up the Southland championship and got to the NCAA Tournament. Oh, scratch that.

7. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

was coming to bump this thread. Hat beat me to it.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

6-0 since the rant.

I'd love it if they could make a mini run next weekend.

9. Unimane

Who said the team was destroyed or were you commenting on public opinion? Good to see the kids respond to an epic ass chewing.

10. hatvol96

The initial public reaction.

11. Unimane

Ok, I agree. I loved the comment initially, although I did think it was going to pay off in the future and not immediately as it did.

12. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I hadn't paid any attention to this before ESPN ran it ad nauseum after Lamar's tourney championship, but I think there's a message here.

Pat Knight threw his team under the bus publicly. He did it to get more out of his team, and it worked. There was purpose in it, and he was good enough, or lucky enough, to achieve that purpose, and it is his job as a coach to get everything he can from his guys. He did it in eyebrow-raising, disagreeable fashion, which is sometimes necessary.

Contrast that to a coach who often throws his players under the bus in order to excuse his team's performance rather than to improve it.