Rg3

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Feb 26, 2012.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I love me some RG3, and I think he'll pan out as an NFL QB. However, I heard a pundit the other day say that he would be the most athletic QB to play the position, and I want to clarify that this is incorrect.

Two words: Michael. Vick.

Vick is both quicker than RG3 and faster than RG3 at any distance that matters on a football field*. RG3 ran a 4.39 40. Very very good. Vick didn't run at the combine, but ran an electronically timed** 4.36 at a rookie mini-camp. I was almost certain that he also ran an electronically timed 4.33, but I can't find reliable confirmation on this.

This is a silly little rant, but it bugs me when I hear people in the national media say utter nonsense.

*RG3 would beat him in the 200, I'm certain.
    **Unless the 40 was electronically timed, I pay it no mind. Further to this point: until I see an electroically timed sub-4.2 40, I am of the opinion that it is as real as a unicorn.

2. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Idiot analyst notwithstanding, I don't think you'll find anyone that would disagree with this. Vick also broke 40 inches on his vertical as a college freshman.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Athleticism is not defined solely by speed. I think you'd have a hard time putting any QB ahead of Vick at the moment, but I don't think a discrepancy that small in the forty is reason enough to totally rule a guy out. If I were forced to pick a QB with athleticism that might rival Vick, I'd probably go with Cam Newton, whose 40 wasn't as good as either Vick or Griffin.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I agree. I listed the 40 time because it's quantifiable. But I did mention agility as well, and anybody who has seen both RG3 and Vick play -- which is probably true of everybody reading this thread -- would agree that Vick is the quicker/shiftier of the two, and by a good margin.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

RG didn't really run a whole lot later in his college career. Early on, though, he was doing some pretty impressive stuff with his legs. I don't know that he'll ever pull off a run like Vick had to beat the Vikings in OT a few years ago, but I bet we'll see him look a lot more agile his rookie year when he'll probably need to run more while he is still learning the NFL passing game.

6. Swiftpacegal

Swiftpacegal Member

RG3 is wicked, like this man.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I tend to agree, but RG3 nearly qualified for the Olympics and won several hurdle events for Baylor's track and field team.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

luck's 40 time has to be the most overrated 40 time ever. the dude is a statue in the pocket. yes his straight line speed is excellent, but that is where the comparison with cam newton ends.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's crazy to me the way people try to spin him as a dual threat QB. He's a pocket QB that can, when given enough time, hurt you with his feet due to a D not paying him enough attention. His running ability isn't why NFL scouts drool over him but there's dumbass Mayock on NFL network trying to make him out as some fantastic runner.

10. NashVol11

Newton was the first guy I thought of as well. Moving like that at 6'5, 250 is absurd.

11. NashVol11

Aaron Rodgers

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

rodgers is a better runner than luck. rodgers has great vision and instincts as a runner. luck is faster and more physical, but regurally runs into traffic.

13. NashVol11

You'd know better than I would, but it seems like this year was kind of an anomaly for Luck. If he can show the same skills he displayed in 2010 when he got like 8 ypc, I think he can get a solid 5.5 and like 350 yards in an NFL season.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He'll end up on the sidelines. As droski said, Luck runs into contact, which isn't a bad thing if you're a tailback but he's not.

He's not going to have to rely on his legs because he's smart and efficient in the pocket. Cam's still figuring out how to play in the pocket plus he is a legit weapon in the run game.

Luck will break a few when a team's manned up on his WRs and leave him alone in the pocket but no one is designing run plays for him imo in the NFL.