Going for two

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

We shouldn't have gone for two against A&M when we scored to make it 35-34. We should've gone for two when we scored to make it 35-27.

Here's why (warning: math)

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Please tell me that link show Lyle's chart.

3. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

We've been better when the percentages have been against us (somehow). I do like the article though.

4. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

The book "Scorecasting" by Moskowitz is full of stuff like this. Never punt on 4th down, defense does not really win championships, etc.

Some of it is hard to believe but an interesting read nevertheless.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I think that never punting on fourth down is a bit of a stretch, but going for two in this (quite limited) scenario seems like a no-brainer

6. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

I agree. Not going for 2 was arguably a worse call than kicking the FG against OK.

Botch needs to write his own book. He could call it "How to make $4mil Annually from Charting Analytics"

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And if you are going to chart analytics, use the analytics the HS coach is using that has netted him 5 state championships by not punting, going for 2 and kicking all onside kicks.

8. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

That is the dude referenced in the book. I forgot about going for 2 on all TDs and onside kicks. The author got some of his football stuff from the NFL, also.

9. NorrisAlan

Now explain to me the punt when down 32 and on our own 42 and only 12 minutes left and it is 4th and 3.

I'll hang up and listen.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

And then leave in key players to risk injury after we had clearly thrown in the towel.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What pisses me off is the players had not, but the head coach had

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Field goal down 28-7 was a pretty bad signal.

13. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I thought the same

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If Abernathy's injury is even somewhat serious Butch should be hung from the rafters.

15. NorrisAlan

I cannot stand his lack of testicles. He seems to have this idea that all situations are identical and you take the PAT. you take the 3 pts. You kick the punt. No matter what.

No feel or imagination.

And no male genitalia.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yes. And also is Abernathy is perfectly healthy.

And if the game today had never happened.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He cares more about perception than winning. In his mind it was more important to minimize the margin of defeat than go down swinging because the odds of prevailing at that point were low. He asked the starters to risk their bodies to help with his job security.

18. cpninja

cpninja Member

The whole game reminded me of when he brought Cincinnati down here and let Dooley kick his teeth in

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'll always remember getting a little worried about a comeback on that drive. When they kicked the three, I was relieved that they had seemingly given up. Kids follow where they are lead.

20. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Shocking