Article: Bruce Pearl is not the answer for South Carolina Basketball

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, Feb 23, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

If Gregg Marshall isn't hired the AD should be fired on the spot. And that is no commentary on what I think of Bruce Pearl.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just think even the question of hiring Pearl is absurd, for a high major school.

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Honestly, gaspumper basketball has nothing to lose. It would be stupid for anyone to hire Pearl before he can, you know, talk to recruits, but I imagine that someone will give him a shot afterwards, and likely improve their standing. Admittedly, I'm not sure that needs to be in the SEC, or like IP said, high major.

Plus, South Carolina has no room to talk about any of our athletics programs. Our apocalypse would be halcyon days for them. And it's "show cause." It's sad when you check mid-article to look for Bleacher Report in the URL, and it isn't there!

And, heaven help me, I still don't consider what Pearl did to be all that bad. Should have been fired, yes. Should be blackballed from the sport? I don't think so. Worthy of a media circus? Nope, although Pearl and Hamilton's actions (or lack thereof) didn't help much on that front. I'd certainly consider his involvement in the Deon Thomas scandal a worse deed if he edited the tape (but not if he simply snitched).

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

How dare you talk about a program that won an East division title two years ago! Bruce deserved the "show-clause" if you ask me.

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Probably deserved, but definitely to be expected. By blackball, I'm referring more to the time after the show cause is complete. I don't have a problem with a multi-year sidelining.

7. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I laughed...and cried. We put up a banner celebrating that accomplishment. Hell, we don't have anything else to be proud of. Our equestrian and baseball teams are allsome, though.

As far Horn, I hope I am seeing his last season in Columbia.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How much time does Ellington have left?

You have some decent players. With the state of the SEC right now, a coach could come in there and see a pretty big turnaround.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm not sure what the deal is with Marshall. He has done very well, and has been on the list of up and comers for years and never gets a chance. It almost seems like there's something that's not known publicly that prevents him from getting bigger jobs.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I know him decently. I have friends who know him extremely well. He is a very prickly character who can rub people the wrong way and isn't exactly diplomatic at times. I had some friends on the team who told some great stories about his, um, cruelty. But he always treated me fairly and was the first interview I ever did with the newspaper I worked with at the time.

Gregg Marshall is a totally self-made man too. He coached with Cress at C of C, but honestly, everything Gregg did he did on his own. I don't think he is very enmeshed in the coaching circles. Winthrop was a mess when he arrived and he won the Big South his first year. He is still the only Big South coach to win a game in the tournament.

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

He pulled a Billy Donovan on CoC, right? Not sure about the particulars, but that could be part of the reason.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Yeah but that was 5 years ago and now Wichita St. is about to be a top-ten team. That's irrelevant now.

13. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Good point. Forgot that he had moved on from Winthrop. Carry on.

14. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

He will be a junior next season, but he has said (I believe) that he will only play one sport next season. I just hope we make the right hire. Horn was clearly the wrong man for the job.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That makes sense. He obviously has something about him that keeps him from getting jobs that it would seem that he's ready for and deserves.

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If South Carolina drags its feet, it's going to wake up and see Marshall at Illinois or Nebraska and wonder what the hell went wrong.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is the reason he isn't liked by other coaches.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Do you think he would go to Nebraska, Hat? That seems like an absolutely horrible job.

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Nebraska is about to open a new state of the art of the arena and has a Brinks truck of Big 10 TV money to spend.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I see. Did not know about the arena. That ought to help them tremendously.