Football Rule Changes

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kptvol, Feb 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Kickoff being moved to the 35 yard line.

Didn't get all the details on this one, but there is a new rule regarding dislodged helmets. If your helmet is knocked off during a play you are required to leave the field for one play.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Increased touchbacks == de-emphasized special teams == good for UT

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't have a problem with tbe helmet thing. Dislike the neutering if kick returns

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't like the helmet rule at all. I get that it is probably to help make sure the player wasn't injured while his helmet was off, but how is that going to work? I'd imagine y the time the trainer finds the player, goes through the standard conversation of player not wanting attention but dic insisting, he'll have a good five seconds to examine the guy before he is able to return.

Also, I can't recall a lot injuries (none come to mind right now) that occurred when the helmets come off. Usually concussions aren't dislodging helmets.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What happens when it's a facemask penalty that dislodges the helmet ie no contact caused it?

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also, just spitballing here, but an idea. Suppose it is first and one or so. The LB gets into the backfield, but the RB jukes him. LB reaches back, grabs the facemask and takes the RB down while dislodging his helmet.

1. The down and distance are just about unchanged.
    2. The TD was prevented.
    3. The top RB is now out for the next play.

Or, suppose that play happens on the last play of the game in regulation and the offense is out of timeouts. Now, you have one more attempt to get into the endzone. What if that happened to a player of Marcus Lattimore's caliber? You think the Cocks would feel good about their chances while their best player is forced to sit on the sideline despite being 100% healthy?

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well heck. Groves kind of got to the issue faster and more succinctly than myself. If there is a provision for facemasks, I didn't hear it. But then again, if a facemask is so deadly as to be outlawed, wouldn't that be all the more reason to take the player out?

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Sounds like some money could be made for some really... really good and tight chin straps. Like a 5-point harness, for your chin.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I saw some thing on TV many years ago about a guy that had rivets implanted in his skull around the scalp area that matched up to fasteners in his toupee. Might want to steal that idea and patent the first titanium helmet-securing implant.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sweat, dreads and skull caps make it damn near impossible to keep them on.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Agree. It's a racist rule.

12. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Unless everyone else is getting touchbacks and we still aren't.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Palardy had some crazy touchback percentage in high school. What yard line was he using?

14. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

High School kicks from the 40 I believe and kicks cannot be returned out of the endzone.

15. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

This is correct. Still, having 3 years in a college S&C program should allow him the leg strength to get it into the endzone. We also have the K we signed that is supposed to have a really strong leg.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well the rumor is that Bennie Wylie pretty much completely screwed him up.