Michigan Primary Gameday Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Feb 21, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think Romney is an intelligent and thoughtful person and that he would be a "good" president if given the opportunity. But I'm not sure him winning the nomination solves what ails the Republican party at the moment.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Truth.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Thank you - but your smart-assed answer was both perfectly acceptable and most welcomed, too.

I find it both humorous and tragic to see so many Southern Democrats supporting a borderline moderate who hails from the NE U.S. and is pro-abortion.

Speaks to the hatred of Obama, but also of a strong inner desperation.

4. ncmedicman

ncmedicman Member

Romney is definitely the best candidate the GOP has to offer, but if they can't get enough Republican support behind their own candidate, how do they expect to swing enough of the independent voters his way to offset the difference?

5. JayVols

I guess I would be classified as a Southern Democrat- one of the very few left. However, I really classify myself as a moderate Democrat, and I will not be voting for Romney. Dude has never had a firm conviction in his life, imo. He has too many views that have changed due to political expediency rather than firm conviction. Even though I totally despise Santorum, I respect him more than Romney. Rick at least stands behind his archaic bullshit without apology.

6. ncmedicman

ncmedicman Member

When the best candidates a party has to offer (and in this GOP group, it goes 4-5 deep) are distinguished by lessening levels of disdain among voters (even your own), your party is in trouble.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think that Romney can be a good President. I'm actually surprised that most feel assured of Obama's reelection. He hasn't been good - and this is coming from someone who tends to lean liberal. Are the Rs really that disinterested in the field that the turnout will give Obama the win. I know a lot of Ds that I wouldn't be shocked at all if they stayed at home on election day, as long as someone like Santorum doesn't motivate them to go vote for Obama.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

The candidate they needed is a very large man in New Jersey.

9. JayVols

Serious question. No joking or kidding at all.

What exactly is the appeal of Christie? Personally, I find him an undisciplined loud mouth whose only accomplishments involve being an asshole towards and berating anyone that disagrees with him. He failed to act on a hot button issue that he claims to support. That shows a lack of real stones because it isn't popular in the party. He blasts waste, yet is wasteful himself. I don't get it. I would really like to know more if I am missing something.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Honestly, he has no great appeal to me personally. He does, however, have the sort of personality that would resonate with independents who are sick of the normal partisan conversation. He's going to be witty. He will appear sharp. He has a chance of eclipsing Obama's own personality. He's "fresh."

Sadly, that is a big deal in elections.

11. JayVols

Thanks for the honesty. I have no doubt that he is a pretty sharp guy. I just don't see him as the type of guy that can span the political divide in our nation. In fact, I think he is more of an agitator, but as you stated that is appealing to some. I know it's a pie-in-the-sky view, but I want someone that can work with folks to come to a consensus. I hate the I'm against anything the 'other' side proposes mentality that pervades our political culture. This is coming from a Democrat- not everything the Republicans stand for is wrong. Conversely, not everything the Dems stand for is right. I know that if voting on the merits of legislation happens in this country rather than partisan squabbling, the lion will sleep with the lamb. Arabs and Israelis will hold hands and sing Kumbaya as they roast s'mores around the campfire, Rick Santorum will embrace gay marriage and free condoms for all, Rush Limbaugh will pay a sincere complement to Obama, Keith Olbermann will send George W. Bush a heartfelt apology for being on his ass for 12 years, and the anti gun lobby will have a change of heart and encourage every law-abiding citizen to buy a handgun and get a concealed carry permit so they can protect their families from the methed out evil-doers of the world. It's sad, real sad.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Our politics are a reflection of our population. It can't happen because WE won't let it. Either you are trying to enslave women to their reproductive capacity or you are committing mass genocide, for example. There is little room left for compromise or understanding. The same people who think less government is the solution and health care should be a private industry think government should ban a medical procedure due to their religiously and philosophically-informed private opinions on the issue. Conversely, the same people who feel various standards should be mandated and enforced by a strong and endless authoritative State are the first to protest police and military action.

It's stupid and intellectually broken.

13. JayVols

I don't think Obama has been good at all. He's had some decent moments, but overall, he's been disappionting. Saying that, I have seen nothing that gives me the impression that Romney will be worth a shit either. The guy is more limp on his positions than a 99 year old penis. He has made more gaffes than Joe Biden in the last 2 months. If I am being honest, I have to admit his Mormonism bothers me. He has no clue what it is like to struggle to pay bills (this describes most all the candidates but Romney is the one running his trap about $10,000 bets, his wife's 2 Caddys, and being chummy with NASCAR owners). While the budget needs cutting, he wants to perpetuate the falsehood, imo, that cutting taxes on the wealthy (again) while bloodletting social programs is the magic bullett to solve all ills. He has no firm convictions, outside of his religious beliefs that I disagree with, that he wouldn't change if it were beneficial which I find VERY unappealing in a leader. If he does that, what would he do as POTUS? I find that disconcerting. His claim that he created a bazillion jobs being, as some of his opponents from his own party have classified him, a corporate raider is suspect at best. Romney strikes me as a snake oil salesman that feels that he is entitled to be POTUS. I find very very little about him that is appealing.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  14. JayVols

You nailed it. The level of schitzophrenia in today's voting populace is astounding. I will also agree that the conflicting stances on various hot button issues is completely devoid of rationality or consistency.

I know your views on religion, but the Sunday School class I attend is taught by my father-in-law. Great guy that I deeply respect. The last few months have been tough for me to attend. We are doing a study on the Founding Fathers and their religious beliefs. He has plastered newspaper articles highlighting the recent Republican's 'outrage' of Obama's 'attacks' on religious freedom regarding birth control and why the government should not interfere with religion. The next second the class is clamoring for the government to outlaw abortion on religious grounds. They seem blind to the fact that these conflicting views can't be defended intellectually. People want to pick and choose how much or how little government is involved based on their own personal views and on a case by case basis. It doesn't work like that. I see nothing changing, at least for the better, in regards to the partisan horseshit in DC.

15. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

He's not Obama! Someone had to say it!

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I voted for romney in 08 actually.

This time around have been 50/50 with him and newt for months. There are things I like and dislike about each. At the end of the day, I've decided to go with romey because I tend to like successful businessmen I politics, I think his plans are the most realistic, social issues are not my top priority right now, and he just has a quality about him that I think would make him a good leader.

In full disclosure, I also think he's got the best chance to defeat obama.

17. Tenacious D

What weight would you assign to each, Card, insofar as importance?

Example:
    Successful businessman - 50% (1/2 the reason you're voting for him)

Social issues: 10%

Can beat Obama: 40%

I'm trying to see if gauge not just the amount of support he has, but the reasons for it.

And there is no hidden meaning / agenda at work here - I'm not trying to make any larger point - just curious.

18. CardinalVol

Businessman - 30

Social issues - 0

Economic plan feasibility - 20

Leadership perception - 30

Can beat obama - 20

19. CardinalVol

I guess while part of the reason is because I think he can beat obama, I genuinely believe he could make a good President.

20. Tenacious D

Fair enough.

Anyone else - and for any candidate?