One & Done

Discussion in 'Sports' started by cotton, Nov 2, 2016.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Showtime doc starting Friday about the NCAA and basketball policy. Ben Simmons seems to be a centerpiece, which is an interesting perspective from a foreign player forced into 1 year of college:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Some quotes:

"The NCAA is really f--ked up...They say education, but if I'm there for a year, I can't get much education."

"I got B's and C's; I'm not going to class next semester because I don't need to," Simmons said, per Medcalf. "... I'm here to play; I'm not here to go to school."

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Which is why the one and done is stupid.

If you want to compromise, go the baseball route. Go to school 3 years or don't go at all

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Yes

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Could probably solve a lot of it by just letting folks make an attempt at making it into the pros without it hurting amateur status.

I think once kids get kicked in the face out of high school, and see where they actually stand as far as draft status to skill level, they might put more stock in actually getting an education.

5. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

The rub is what to do about it without adversely effecting the NCAA quality of basketball. They could evolve the D league where players could go and develop physically and mentally before being drafted along with providing mandatory financial planning classes, social media awareness, domestic violence classes, etc. If they do that though, how many players would even go play in college at all? One and done is stupid but it does continually bring in the top freshmen to the NCAA every year.

6. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

"without it hurting amateur status." That's a big deal as well...especially for players drafted in the second round. Their contracts are unguaranteed.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That's a risk they have to decide they are going to take or not. If they were allowed an agent, I'm sure one could probably show what percentage of second rounders make it, and help them make their choice. But they aren't allowed that, either.

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The baseball rule is also stupid.

9. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I read an article a while ago from a blog on how to fix the one and done rule. Basically said they should:
    1. adopt modified version of the baseball rule. Let players enter right out of HS and allow a 30 day window to finalize a contract. If a player or team opts out, player is allowed to attend college but not eligible to reenter until 21 or three years in college. (something like that).

2. Require guaranteed contracts. First rounders get three year guaranteed and second rounders get year to year guaranteed with at least rookie minimum.

3. If players aren't drafted or players who are drafted but don't sign can go back to college for three years or until age 21.

4. Allow HS players to consult with an agent without it effecting their eligibility.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It is less stupid than a semester of college where you have to go to class, then a semester that doesn't matter

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Fair enough, but they are both pretty damn stupid.

If a kid has graduated high school and there is a team willing to use a draft pick on him, he should be able to enter the draft. It shouldn't matter if he just graduated, a year removed from graduating, or three years removed from graduating.

12. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

This. Let them leave whenever the hell they want. Almost no one would be leaving as a freshman or sophomore anyway, they'd enter after HS.

13. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Exactly. The only beneficiary of that rule is college baseball.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Probably worth noting the one and done rule is because of the NBA, not ncaa.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

At least its cloaked in repayment for the scholarship funds. Basketball is just collusion.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm all for letting them go when they want