Michigan Primary Gameday Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Feb 21, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Honestly, I'm not really all that interested in a candidate that struggles to pay bills. One of Romney's only redeeming qualities is that he seems to have this money stuff figured out. He's been wildly successful in business and his state's deficit became a surplus. I think he is the best of the prominent candidates right now because I think he is the most likely to have a positive impact on the economy. But yes, overall I'm not a big fan.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I started out firmly in #2, but i do think romney will be one of the brightest presidents in our history. He is a political guy and will do what the polls tell him, but I can see him being clinton #2. the more i've seen what he accomplished at bain the more impressed i am by him. and his economics are spot on. Romneycare scares me though.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

daniels was always the guy I wanted/

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He's stated he thinks Romneycare is only appropriate at a state level. He'd never get reelected if he tried to go national with that crap.

5. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Dead on with the term crap. Are you doing anything to leverage yourself against the threat of physician specialty reimbursement cuts? They pull that crap, I'll just learn Mandarin and go cash only. Offices in New York, London, Shanghai, and Hong Kong. #Winning.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he's covering his ass. it disturbs me he thought it was a good idea in the first place.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

If Romney would be Clinton #2, I would be extremely happy with him.

8. JayVols

There's a number of situations where people struggle with bills that are no fault of their own. It can happen to any of us. Besides, I don't think they actually have to struggled paying bills. I was speaking more to the fact that he has no clue what the majority of Americans are going through today. His Bidenesque foot in mouth comments are glaring pieces of evidence to that fact.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

which comments are you refering to? the "companies are jobs" statement was absolutely correct and if you look a the full statement it was not a food in mouth situation. i agree he comes off like an entitled guy, but that doesn't make him wrong.

10. JayVols

No. I was referencing his comments on $10,000 bets, his wife's 2 Caddys, and being buds with NASCAR owners. I have no issues with the guy being successful, mind you. All I am saying is that he is not making many inroads to folks with these comments. True or not, it gives the impression that he is out of touch.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I should be OK. But no I am not doing any special maneuvering.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I get that, but i'm not convinced any politician is in touch. obama in particular. personally i'd rather have him be out of touch because he is badass successful rather than out of touch because the only people he knows are academics and union bosses. (not that you are arguing otherwise btw)

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Obama went to Harvard and I've never heard of him having a real job. He isn't in touch anymore than Romney is.

14. JayVols

I agree that politicians suck balls. Due to my history, I have a higher opinion of unions than you do, but no big deal. I don't hate or resent rich folks. I just wish more of them would re-invest a great deal of their money into their companies that would help the little guy. However, I fully recognize that it's their money to do with what they want.

15. JayVols

I never said he was. In fact, I have stated my disappointment in Obama. There, once again, are no candidates on either side that make me eager to go vote. It's sad that these clowns are the best we can come up with.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

romney absolutely invested in companies that helped the little guy. he generally bought companies that were well on their way to bankruptcy and that is why we see the job loss numbers. but staples just by itself employs hundreds of thousands that wouldn't have happened without bain's money. running companies efficiently (yes taht means firing people sometimes) is what leads to greater economic growth. holding onto manufacturing jobs that pay $15 an hour and still aren't competitive with the rest of the world makes no sense if your goal is to make the middle class richer.

17. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Romneycare voted on by the people?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes. The state wanted it. Apparently state's rights and the sovereignty of individual states only matters when it is an issue a conservative agrees with?

The fact that Obama used it as a model for the nation is in no way a reflection on Romney, given the context.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The fact that he worked with the legislature in Massachusetts to bring about RomneyCare doesn't really scare me. It's what Mass wanted and he was going to do what he needed to do to keep the legislature working with him. I don't know the specifics on how it's working out in Mass, but I never saw any huge issues while there and jobs seemed to still be coming to the state.