Car Crash Yesterday

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Steve C., Feb 29, 2012.

1. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

[​IMG]

Two kids were "street racing" down 394 and one decided to pass a slower car by driving in the opposite lane.

This is after two local kids have been killed in car accidents earlier this year.

Do we need stricter driving laws?

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Depends. What kind of charges do they face?

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The last thing we need is more laws.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

car fatalities are way down per capita the past 20 years. not sure how much of that is technology compared to driving habits. but generally i'm not a fan of overreacting because of one idiot. hell i'd like to still be able to have a beer when i drive if i want.

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Mississippi.

6. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

We need less idiots behind the wheel. Problem solved.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

nice

8. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

No confirmation of any charges at this time.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why would we need stricter laws? We have the death penalty in this country, yet murders still happen. Should we torture reckless drivers?

I'm just not sure what one can do "law-wise" to prevent this. Had they been caught racing before-hand, they would have suffered severe repercussions.

10. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

You have a point with something like individual driver safety like seat belts, but I sure as Hell don't want some idiot going 110 on the highway ramming into me and sending me to the hospital in serious/critical condition.

For the record, kpt, one of the drivers may be lucky to face charges. He's in critical condition.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I keep forgetting that we are in the same area, Steve. I saw this all over the local news. Not sure if new laws would help. Teenagers think their 10' tall and bullet proof. I know I felt that way. It's not just an age issue. If you remember the street racing incident in Johnson City a few years ago that killed the Homecoming Queen at Crockett High and severely burned her friend in the car. One of the racers was in his 30s or 40s. Unfortunately, there are stupid people in the world that have no concept of ramifications for their actions

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

So what do you propose? Limiters in every vehicle? Big Brother, London-style traffic camera coverage?

13. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

I am against the death penalty.

It has long been my belief that people who don't want to participate in society should be forced into indentured servitude or onto a government-sanctioned island with zero laws. Like Guantanamo without the orange suits and prison cells.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Enforcing current laws with stiffer penalties and educating young idiots are your best bets. There's no feasible options otherwise that don't piss on the rest of citizens who drive decently.

15. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Restrictor plates?

16. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Would you rather have less "rights" or take a chance of death by automobile accident? I know which I'd choose. Nobody says people have to drive on the roads. It's a privilege.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Assuming those folks who are legally prohibited from driving on those said roads is a stretch. That's where a tougher punishment would be welcomed. The laws are fine as is. The slaps on the wrist are what allows stuff like this to even be debated.

That said, these young people made a mistake. A mistake many have made before. This time it was fatal. No need in a kneejerk reaction, though.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Furthermore, you take a chance every time you sit in a vehicle. Just part of life.

19. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Death Penalty for Parking Violations would solve most problems.

20. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

My wife dispatched a wreck last Friday where a man was rushing his wife to the hospital through Jacksonville, AL. The man was doing approx 70 miles per hour with his flashers on. Blew through a red light and hit a John Deer Tractor with its blade up. Knocked the man off the tractor into the road. The car went through the blade of the tractor, cutting the woman's arm off and into the road. The car traveled about 200 yards before stopping. Two other cars also got into the wreck. She had to dispatch 2 Life Saver helicopters, fire rescue and police. Quite hectic.