Advising President-Elect Trump

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Suppose you had an opportunity to be an informal and trusted advisor to President-Elect Trump. I'd really like to see how you guys would advise him, in what direction and to which end. There's a lot here, and it may be worthy of a good discussion.

How would you advise him? To what end? What would you most strongly support or oppose his doing?

What would you advise him to do about the fractured country, and which would offer the best and quicker help or harm? How could be best facilitate a sense of desiring reconciliation? Should he even seek reconciliation?

How should he reach out to Dems / Bernie's fans? Should he at all? What shouldn't he do?

Should he reach out to he BLM movement? If so, how, and to what end?

Please save the schtick of "Tell him to resign", "Drink poison" and all similar nonsense, and really give it a sincere take.

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Don't keep Melania hidden under a rock. She has the opportunity to help his image tremendously.

3. Savage Orange

He can reach out to the BLM/Bernie crowd but they're going to have to meet him halfway. I suspect the BLM movement is going to fizzle into irrelevance now that their champion who never calls them out on their outrageous and often racist behavior is going away.

4. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I don't believe BLM and Bernie are the same crowd.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Apologize for campaign rhetoric.

Call out idiots on both sides of aisle.

Show humility.

You are there to shake things up, put a plan in place to cut spending and pay down debt.

Create an advisory council of small business owners to talk about real problems facing sbo.

Encourage technical skills and invest in them.

Take your time to repeal/fix the aca. Listen to doctors and citizens in how to fix it for something that works.

Publicly support firing of butch Jones and Mike Mccarthy.

6. Savage Orange

Need to do something about oppressive regulation of farmers.... Farmers I know can't even cut trees on their land without permits and that's just the beginning of it. Gotta get the chains off of the people who feed us, that's for damn sure.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The biggest issue is the lack of being able to capture retail dollars because of laws that favor the large corporate farms.

8. Savage Orange

Yes. When middlemen are making the lions share of the profit to the point where farmers can barely (if they even CAN) recoup expenses... Something's gotta give. Especially when the weather is being less than cooperative. I know more than one farmer who "ain't plantin' SHIT!!" next season.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The first three are difficult, if not so mutually exclusive as to be impossible.

The next four seem like necessarily prudent steps.

The final bit seems so inevitable as to likely warrant mention in his inaugural speech.

10. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

You mean Obama and Hillary invoking ties to the KKK from a man who opened an all-inclusive Country Club in the early 90's while Clinton was a member of an all-white country club as President?
    He called out the establishment on both sides is what got him elected. He owes no apologies.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

1. Reduce military spending. Use half the savings to ramp up intelligence/homeland security.
    1b. Reduce the flow of muslims into this country, but do not have a blanket religious test. The law of large numbers says that if you let thousands upon thousands of young Saudi males come into this country each year for education that someone eventually will die (again.)
    1c. Wars that cost more American lives than they save are stupid, stupid, stupid.
    2. Reduce spending on entitlements (raise retirement age.)
    2b. Work on healthcare reform. We need to get our costs in line with other developed countries. Whatever the measure. It shouldn't cost someone 30k to have a gall bladder removed. If this means a cost system where the costs of procedures are mandated by govt. sobeit.
    3. Help him understand that the free flow of talent, resources, goods, and services is in our benefit.
    3b.By all means build the wall if we really can get Mexico to pay for it. But mass deportations are inhumane. We shouldn't do it.
    4. Ramp up infrastructure spending. Raise taxes if needed to pay for it. We currently have a huge mismatch between jobs demanded by our economy and talent supplied. Particularly, there are a lot of men that are badly underemployed considering that we have an infrastructure that is very much second rate. Currently there is no demand for these guys. We can change that. We need to rebuild bridges, airports, roads, tunnels, electric grids, plumbing, and put in high speed rail. These projects will take decades and many will be ongoing. Savings from reduced entitlements and military can help. This will renew patriotism, reduce unemployment, reduce crime, make the country shinier and 21st century ready. It will also relieve much of the discontent and feeling of hopelessness that infects the country. I am not a big government guy, but government spending is OK when, and only when, we efficeintly allocate resources to do what the country needs. If we had spent the last 15 years investing in infrastructure instead of iphones, the country would be a better place.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Get rid of daylight savings time.

That's it. He wins me over with that single bit.

When I then vote for second term Trump, after not having to adjust my clock a single minute, I will ask that he then end the electoral college.

13. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I support.

14. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Here in AZ, we don't adjust for DST. It's kind of weird, but I've been here just over a year so I'm still in the process of getting fully adjusted to it. The biggest adjustment was for TV shows (primetime starting at 7 and late night shows starting at 10:30) but I don't watch much TV anymore.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Executive Orders

1. Jail Nick Saban for tax fraud.
    2. Remove Butch Jones as UTHFC.
    3. Place Butch Jones at the U of A until death as a permanent sentence.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Really like 3. Would change to make it his or the program's death.

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

You get the later by default.

He also must answer questions as he has here at UT and then repeat said answers 3 times before he answers another question.

18. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

"You're fired, bigly."

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

President for life, Constitution be damned.

20. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

They aren't. Bernie's inability to appeal to black voters was his main problem.