Dan Wolken Predicts Vol Tourney Chances

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tenacious D, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

That a TN win on Saturday and a loss in the SECCG gets the Vols under consideration for 'AA tourney.

Follow him on twitter, here: http://twitter.com/DanWolken

2. WM

WM Active Member

Wolken is a condescending [Penis].

3. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

So he's saying we need 3 more wins to get in?

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I hate when you just bottle your feelings up, WM.

Let it out.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I loathe wolken but agree with him here. There is no other way other than winnin sect.

6. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

RPI up from 93 to 81 on CBS and others I've seen updated today. Just win baby!

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't think that's right, Cardinal. If we beat Candy and win one in the SECT, we've got a legit shot.

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

For those that know, how much more emphasis does the selection committee put on the last 10 games, and how much will they take into account games without Stokes?

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

In this case, "under consideration" means "in," right?

10. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

He tried to tell Rucker that adding a player like Stokes isn't that unprecedented, like the committee doesn't take that into consideration. Then he threw out the example of Jio Fontan at USC. The only thing is, USC made the tournament that year......

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Last 10 games and Stokes would be given heavy emphasis. The issue would be if that could overcome the early season [uck fay]ups.

12. hallowed_hill

The last 12 games used to be an official criterion that the committee looked at, but they did away with it a few years ago. I can't help but think that the way a team plays down the stretch has some bearing on how they are perceived, though. The Stokes situation probably just depends on the actual individuals in the room as these types of things have to be handled on a case by case basis.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I sometimes feel like the committee is inconsistent on how they handle team A vs team B within the same year. Seems in the past they've used one criterium to put team A in and then say they didn't take that same criterium into account on leaving team B out.

I realize when you get to the last few teams in or out you're talking about not a hill of beans difference between them and this year seems worse in that regard.

Edit: criterium, criterion, potato, potatoe

14. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

When he's not blowing Josh Pastner for winning games against Marshall.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I still think, all things considered, that would still have us on the wrong side of it. We need to get to Sunday to have a good shot.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

We get to Sunday, and we're a lock.

17. Tar Volon

I've been told by a couple people who know that filling out a bracket is enlightening. I had a couple hours to spare today, so I did just that. Trust me, it's enlightening.

Honestly, it's hard for me to see how Tennessee isn't in the next group of 4 just on the wrong side of the bubble right now. I mean, here's what the bottom looks like:

Last four byes:
    BYU
    Colorado State
    VCU
    UConn

First four:
    Texas
    Mississippi State
    Northwestern
    West Virginia

Wrong side of the bubble:
    St. Joe's
    Xavier
    Tennessee
    Oregon
    Miami
    UCF
    Arizona
    Colorado

Half of those sixteen teams are going to make the tournament. I'm sure people who follow more closely than I do can find a team or two that I should've added to that last eight, but it's hard to see us as THAT far out right now. I can't see us missing out if we get to Sunday. If we beat Vandy and get to Saturday, we have a puncher's chance.

18. hallowed_hill

The first four should be four games rather than teams.

19. Tar Volon

Okay.

Texas/Miss St
    Northwestern/WVU
    Long Island/Savannah St
    Stony Brook/Miss Valley St

20. hallowed_hill

lol. I forgot they split it up like that. My bad. I didn't pay much attention last year, as I'm still annoyed that they're hellbent on messing with perfection.