Pay Now or Pay Later

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

December's arrival is important month for UTAD, or better its coffers, as it marks the final time they'll cut a $104,167 monthly check to [ddiapos] for his buyout, now some four (4) years after being fired.

We've paid him $104,167.00 a month. Each month. For four years. Four. Years.

$104,167.00 x 48 months = $5,000,016.00

When you consider the additional and compensatory amounts that UTAD paid for Dooley, the total staggeringly swells:
    Link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ee-volunteers-derek-dooley-dave-hart/1713101/

That's $11M dollars, total, and $3.9M/year that we've spent in payment to [ddiapos] for his three miserably failed years at Tennessee.

Say what you want about [ddiapos], but this is a man who took over a program that was already in a 4-8 year slide (depending upon your definition of "slide"), a fan base still freshly torn in two over a messy and painful divorce with its much-beloved head coach, still reeling in the immediate and shocking aftermath of having watched his replacement essentially leave in the middle of the night and after just a single season at the helm, who sat stunned as we watched his single but highly-vaunted recruiting class begin to painfully collapse one superstar at a time, and with only days to prepare before the next and rapidly approaching signing day - and he somehow, tragically, damned-near honest-to-God miraculously, not only found a way to make it somehow unfathomably worse, but with increasingly damaging effect for the duration of his three years here.

The collectively combined imaginations of Bama, UGA, UF and Vandy could not hope to have conceived of a more villainously incompetent coach to wish upon a Tennessee, as [ddiapos], and would have lacked even the most basic and necessary literacy as prevent even a basic description of him. So, credit to Dooley for successfully sparing them the frustrating and failing attempt, if nothing else.

Fortunately for them, [ddiapos] was everything that they had hoped for, and far more....and we were stupid enough to both find and hire him at Tennessee.

So, this all asks the question: Is it better to pay for the type of coach you want on the front-end, or to pay to remove a failed coach on the back-end? The evidence seems clear and convincing that paying a higher amount to hire THE guy to coach and build your program, is infinitely more preferred than hiring any number of lesser and cheaper coaches, who you're going to eventually and essentially pay the same amount later, but to stop coaching and destroying your program, instead.

And as a follow-up: Imagine the caliber of coaches that we might have gotten, if we had the foresight to have offered more on the front end when we hired both Kiffin, Dooley and Jones?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm using this to post at the Village Idiot site.

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

You should use the same title and everything

5. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I bet Charlie Strong is kicking himself right in the ass for picking the wrong UT to go to....

6. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Tenny, we all get it. But why don't you get someone to put that out there...publicly. Someone at 24/7 or Basilio or whoever. Get this info in front of the masses.

7. Tenacious D

December's arrival is important month for UTAD, or better its coffers, as it marks the final time they'll cut a $104,167 monthly check to [ddiapos] for his buyout, now some four (4) years after being fired.

We've paid him $104,167.00 a month. Each month. For four years. Four. Years.

$104,167.00 x 48 months = $5,000,016.00

When you consider the additional and compensatory amounts that UTAD paid for Dooley, the total staggeringly swells:
    Link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-hart/1713101/

That's $11M dollars, total, and $3.9M/year that we've spent in payment to [ddiapos] for his three miserably failed years at Tennessee.

Say what you want about [ddiapos], but this is a man who took over a program that was already in a 4-8 year slide (depending upon your definition of "slide"), a fan base still freshly torn in two over a messy and painful divorce with its much-beloved head coach, still reeling in the immediate and shocking aftermath of having watched his replacement essentially leave in the middle of the night and after just a single season at the helm, who sat stunned as we watched his single but highly-vaunted recruiting class begin to painfully collapse one superstar at a time, and with only days to prepare before the next and rapidly approaching signing day - and he somehow, tragically, damned-near honest-to-God miraculously, not only found a way to make it somehow unfathomably worse, but with increasingly damaging effect for the duration of his three years here.

The collectively combined imaginations of Bama, UGA, UF and Vandy could not hope to have conceived of a more villainously incompetent coach to wish upon a Tennessee, as [ddiapos], and would have lacked even the most basic and necessary literacy as prevent even a basic description of him. So, credit to Dooley for successfully sparing them the frustrating and failing attempt, if nothing else.

Fortunately for them, [ddiapos] was everything that they had hoped for, and far more....and we were stupid enough to both find and hire him at Tennessee.

Considering that we ultimately paid Dooley $11M dollars in total, or $3.8M a year for three years - in 2010 - here are some CURRENT coaches who will make the SAME or LESS than that this year, in 2016:

[table="width: 500, class: grid"]
    [tr]
    [td]COACH[/td]
    [td]SCHOOL[/td]
    [td]ANNUAL SALARY[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td][ddiapos][/td]
    [td]Tennessee[/td]
    [td]$3.8M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Bobby Petrino[/td]
    [td]Louisville[/td]
    [td]$3.8M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Mike Gundy[/td]
    [td]Oklahoma St.[/td]
    [td]$3.7M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Kirby Smart[/td]
    [td]Georgia[/td]
    [td]$3.7M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Kyle Whittingham[/td]
    [td]Utah[/td]
    [td]$3.77M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Pat Fitzgerald[/td]
    [td]Northwestern[/td]
    [td]$3.3M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Mark Helfrich[/td]
    [td]Oregon[/td]
    [td]$3.3M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Bronco Mendenhall[/td]
    [td]Virginia[/td]
    [td]$3.3M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Tom Herman[/td]
    [td]Houston[/td]
    [td]$3.3M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Dana Holgerson[/td]
    [td]West Virginia[/td]
    [td]$3M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Mike Leach[/td]
    [td]Washington St.[/td]
    [td]$3M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Rich Rodriguez[/td]
    [td]Arizona[/td]
    [td]$2.5M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Mike McIntyre[/td]
    [td]Colorado[/td]
    [td]$2M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Larry Fedora[/td]
    [td]North Carolina[/td]
    [td]$2M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Bryan Harsin[/td]
    [td]Boise St.[/td]
    [td]$1.3M[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]PJ Fleck[/td]
    [td]W. Michigan[/td]
    [td]$900K[/td]
    [/tr]

[/table]

At Dooley's ultimate cost of $3.8M/year, he was making more in 2010 than what Larry Fedora (UNC, $2M/yr) and Bryan Harsin (Boise St., $1.3M/yr) are making in 2016 - COMBINED.

Link: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

So, this all asks the question: Is it better to pay for the type of coach you want on the front-end, or to pay to remove a failed coach on the back-end? The evidence seems clear and convincing that paying a higher amount to hire THE guy to coach and build your program, is infinitely more preferred than hiring any number of lesser and cheaper coaches, who you're going to eventually and essentially pay the same amount later, but to stop coaching and destroying your program, instead.

This is not at all an instruction manual on how to "go cheap" on the next hire, because you're already going to have to pay Butch $10M to hit the bricks - in fact, I am arguing for the exact opposite, and which the facts not only support, but show to be irrefutably and empirically true - going cheap on a coach who is an "up-and-comer" or a "never-was-but-let's-stupidly-hope-that-he-somehow-magically-becomes-one" is not cheap at all, as you'll ultimately pay something close to the higher caliber / cost coach need to hire, if not more.

It's inarguably in Tennessee's best interest, both in the short and long term, to front the higher cost in hiring a much higher caliber coach who is well-proven to be capable of consistently winning at the highest levels and of building our program back to prominence, than to hire another coach who is less proven proven to be consistently capable of doing the same (see: Kiffin, Lane; Dooley, Derek; Jones, LifeChamp, etc.) were and are), and who may be cheaper on the front end, but will ultimately cost you just as much as the more proven coach - if not much, much more - on the back end.

Tennessee had better learn this lesson, now, and quickly, before Butch bolts and the idiots in the room again begin to panic. Perhaps meet at the Haslam Business School, and get a quick primer on what "ROI" means.

And as a follow-up: Imagine the caliber of coaches that we might have gotten, if we had the foresight to have offered more on the front end when we hired both Kiffin, Dooley and Jones?

8. Savage Orange

Keep twisting the knife Tenny.....

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You mean more publicly than USA Today?

10. TDVol1989

With his commentary in a medium where it will reach Vol fans. I want the frustration to spread.

11. 'BoroVol

'BoroVol Member

Waste of time. Numbers, charts, graphs, and facts....it'll just cause mass drooling over there.

12. 'BoroVol

'BoroVol Member

I'm not sure this information translates well to coloring books.

13. TDVol1989

Touche. Just wonder how to get this resonating with the masses.

14. NorrisAlan

You cannot do anything. People are generally short sighted on things like this.

Hell, a guy on Ainge's show yesterday was saying he needs 2 more years minimum. I mean, there is nothing you can do to show people the light when they think that way.

15. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

The stupidity is fascinating. I saw a friend who played football at Tenn Tech dare his Facebook friends to name one good reason that Butch should be fired. The guy isn't an idiot, I just don't see how people are so brainwashed.

16. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Basilio said today in his blog that Jones has had his agent ask for a raise and an extension. Makes Tenny's theory about actively trying to get fired seem like a reality.

17. Tenacious D

I may try to edit it later (anyone else is certainly welcome to do so), so as to turn it into a blog, and post it.

18. NorrisAlan

Worked for #ddiapos.

Can we officially say #bjiapos as well?

19. Savage Orange

Fyp

20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

The people aren't stupid. They want to believe something so they believe it.

I love UT football. I love great things, not shitty things. I therefore love UT football because it is great. Great things are not incompetent, self-destructive, or otherwise terrible. What you are describing is terrible. Consequently, you are wrong. The proof is that I love UT football.

It's like convincing somebody their kid is the bad kid. It isn't a logical issue, so logic has a very difficult time changing someone's position.