The Navy: BJ's and Bastards?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Despite the fact that the U.S. Navy has nearly-singlehandedly won every major and/or modern war (that's my recollection...don't Google it), the other branches have nonetheless - and shockingly - continued in their unabated (and jealousy-induced) aspersions as to our collective character.

Two of the most recent (and best) examples which I have encountered:

1. A child's note to a U.S. Marine reinforces all that is wrong in the world:

[​IMG]

While it may be true, does the kid have to be so damned brazen about it?

2. This little gem caught me completely unaware while watching the Ken Burns documentary, "The War", and kicked me square in the wheelhouse:

[YOUTUBE]t2mgDchRcd4[/YOUTUBE]

Who knew that the WWII-era Navy has such loose entrance requirements? Somewhere, [MENTION=28]bigpapavol[/MENTION] and [MENTION=113]7thgroupvolfan[/MENTION] are (hopefully) smiling.

P.S. - Please know that I proudly served in the U.S. Navy for 5+ years as you pen your hate-filled responses and emails. Not that this should in any way dissuade you from sending it, because really, can anyone ever be told to, "jump up their own ass" frequently enough? I think not.

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

At the risk of derailing the intended topic, how was The War?

I thought Baseball and The Civil War were terrific and never made it through Jazz due to boredom and lack of interest.

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

TD as to the top piece. Over the years I have had some of these types papers. During my early years, I taught Trainable Mentally Retarded students. I gave a spelling test once were the word to spell was "THIS"! He got all the letters correct but not in the right order, he spelled "SH*T"! I sat and laughed out loud for the longest!

4. Tenacious D

Well, its Burns - so the floor can only sink so far - but it's not on par with some of his other work (Civil War / Twain / Prohibition, etc.), but still quality stuff.

Whereas I could watch his best stuff almost monthly - I think that "The War" might be on a more infrequent timetable for reviewing, maybe once every 1-2 years.

I hope that helps, Cotton, as it's difficult for me to quantify it except in those terms.

5. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

1. is just a red X

2. I laughed

3. Never in my life have I ever been jealous of any branch. I can safely say BPV hasn't either. One team, one fight sort of thing.

6. Tenacious D

I have kids, too - and what do you say / do when they've obviously invested the time and energy to write something - and have no understanding of its meaning? Throw it away? You obviously can't do that (although I don't know about posting it to the Internet, though).

Laughing (out of earshot) is best, and pretty much all that you can do.

7. Tenacious D

The little girl (likely 5-7 years old) is writing to a random sailor and asks if he is killing bad guys like her dad, when he was a Marine. She then says that she is only asking because her Dad told her that sailors are just good for giving bj's, and that as he was a member of the best Navy in the world, he must be exceedingly good at it.

Quick Synopsis.

8. 7thgroupvolfan

I see the letter now, that's awesome! Alot of soldiers glorify what they did or didn't do during a deployment(navy dad telling daughter they kill people). I mean, would you tell your friends that all you did was sit behind a desk playing with your junk for 12 months?

9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

It does help, thanks.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Hm. Would say 7th is right, but we had cadence that made fun of all the other branches. So... false bravado aside, Green-Blue team!

11. 7thgroupvolfan

Of course we had cadences making fun of other branches and MOS's. That's just part of the tradition. I never took any of that seriously, some do, though. I havn't called cadence in a long time. I always thought it was a little gay. Fortunately, when you jump the fence all that shit goes away.

I see people downtown wearing Army shirts, hats etc. Nothing wrong with having some pride, but you'll never see me wearing that shit. I know that i'm in the army.

12. fl0at_

Some do. I always preferred the silent professional route, myself.

Boots.

13. 7thgroupvolfan

Ever been to SERE school?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012
  14. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I get to go later in the year at some point... ummm yay?

15. 7thgroupvolfan

Went in October several years back and froze my ass off. One of the better schools the military has to offer, good times.

16. fl0at_

Nope, wasn't lucky enough. I checked out right as the platoon got its quota.

One of the bigger issues with the sniper community is that it isn't an actual community. We've pushed for years to be a primary MOS, but it hasn't happened yet. As such, those not Recon primary or MARSOC are on the Battalion's rotation. And we rotated a lot, so schools were hard to get.

I didn't even get to do friggen urban, as ridiculous as that may sound.

17. fl0at_

I got to hear all the stories.

Just remember, if the cadre drives by in the truck and yells on a megaphone that they can see you and you should come out. You should definitely come out, because of course they can see you...

18. 7thgroupvolfan

Not sure how that would work for us. If they tried to change our MOS's for just going to sotic, they probably would stop sending people. No need for sniper teams round here. What unit are you with/branch?

19. fl0at_

No need to make it a primary for SOTIC, as you guys are working within your primary. It is slightly different on this side, as teams are working Battalion level, usually as part of H&S or Weapons company. Basically just working through the S2.

As the primary for just straight snipers is still their primary MOS (0311 for me), there are no B-billets, no re-up bonuses, and can't operate, for the most part, after you make SSgt. Most make Sgt in their first four, which means they have about 3 years of time in the field before they get pushed back to line companies as platoon Sgts. So, there is no retention, for the most part, and about every 2 years, the platoon loses all its senior personnel. Guys that re-up head out for a B-billet, and you end up with a very young platoon.

There are reasons not to allow it to become a primary, and reasons to allow it to become a primary. For guys with a Recon MOS, there is no reason to make it a primary. But the idea is that a Company attached to the Regimental level, or under the wing of Recon, would be strictly snipers. Then, you could pull in future people from MOS school, and have a steady supply of younger and older Marines. Those companies would then be broken down in the usual manner, and pushed to deploying Battalions. The traditional route is that you do a year or so at the line company level, and then indoc into a scout platoon and hope your company commander likes you enough to let you have a slot for school.

What you end up with is a Lance Corporal or Corporal trying to brief a Captain on proper employment. And it often times doesn't work. Might as well just have designated marksmen at the platoon level and get away from snipers, completely. The only problem is that it drains the resources on the recon side, which work at regimental level.

I EAS'd in 2007, from the Marine Corps.

20. 7thgroupvolfan

Appreciate the schooling, float. Kinda hard to rely on the youngsters to brief officers on anything much less the employment of a weapon and all the bs sharp shooting questions they most likely won't have the answers too.