UT Asst. Coach: Barnes isn't traveling to recruit

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tenacious D, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Tennessee assistant coach Desmond Oliver really doesn't appreciate some who claim that Tennessee is being lazy on the recruiting trail.

So, he makes the smart play by challenging these critiquing fans (as you do):

He then goes on to explain how Rick Barnes has "earned the right" not to travel to recruit:
    maybe our lack of signing any big named players during Barnes' tenure isn't so damned perplexing, knowing this. What in the actual **** is this stupid shit?

Link: http://tennessee.247sports.com/Arti...sistant-coach-responds-to-recruiting-49911949

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It is entirely consistent with the current state of UT athletics. I don't understand why you, or anyone else, would be surprised by this. Nobody in and around the AD gives a shit. Just accept that & move on. Your blood pressure will thank you.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

If I'm a big prospect getting contacted by multiple schools, I'd naturally prioritize listening to the head coaches who contact me. I'd assume the ones sending only assistants are doing so because they're talking to someone who is a better fit for them.

How could you really advance a school up your list, when you're being called by 5 head coaches and their assistant is the only one talking to you? How much effort does it take to be the opener for guys you want?

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Retired in place, much?

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Is anyone actually surprised by this?

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Shouldn't be

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah, a bit.

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I would've expected a retired person to want to travel a little more.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's pretty upsetting to me. Guess this will be a 3 year tenure.

10. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

If Blackburn is hired,I suspect there are going to be some serious strained conversations resulting from forces acting in opposition to each other. Retirement home Barnes and trumpet blower better get ready. This should be fun.

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Just as I said about Shoop before the season, don't get your hopes up.

12. Tenacious D

This brings clarity as to why Barnes is so stumping to hire Gilbert from within - it's obvious he'd let the inmates run the asylum.

13. Tenacious D

For all of his many foibles, at least Butch Jones is trying, and you can't question how hard he's working.

**** Rick Barnes.

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Also, **** the guy that hired Rick Barnes and anyone that allowed it to happen.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Takes time to build a winning program. Brick by brick.

16. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

Perfect story to summarize the state of Tennessee athletics.

17. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I honestly wont be shocked if the guy who hired him is our next AD.

18. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I ride with Jay on this.... UTAD gives nary a shit. Why should I?

19. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

I'm in the minority but I think this is a good freshmen class. The biggest weakness in his recruiting is the lack of big men but the guards can play

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Not sure why people who think that are still in the minority. All you have to do is watch.

Only 1 open scholarship left at the moment.