The Section 103 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Mar 3, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. Evelyn Jack should sing the Anthem at every home game. By the time she was done, I was fired up and ready to go guard John Jenkins.
    2. Great to see Brandon Wharton on the TBA floor again. No list of my favorite all time Vols would be complete without him. I hope Coach Martin took the oportunity to get in some early recruiting time with his son.
    3. I have a newfound level of respect for Stephen Pearl. His decision to show up today and support his alma mater in a conspicuous manner speaks well of his character.
    4. The great Arn Anderson is fond of saying that "Adversity introduces a man to himself." If that's the case, the members of this Tennessee team have every reason to be incredibly proud when they look in the mirror.
    5. If that's Cam Tatum's final appearance in TBA, he went out in a blaze of glory. He played as good an all around game as he has in his entire 20 year career at UT.
    6. Coach Martin won the game with his decision to reinsert Trae Golden in the first half, foul trouble be damned. If he leaves Golden on the bench in that situation, UT gets buried by halftime. Golden, despite being guarded for a good portion of the game by an NBA level defender, controlled the game and made sure Tennessee got good shots.
    7. Kevin Stallings is a solid coach. That said, he's mismanaged this team. There's no way Jeff Taylor should go five minutes at a time without getting a shot. They also don't get Festus Ezeli nearly enough.
    8. Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon owned the boards against a team blessed with quality post players. By winning the battles inside, Stokes and Maymon made sure Vanderbilt had to scratch and claw for every basket.
    9. The crowd was outsanding. They were in their seats early and provided a legitimate homecourt advantage. That was no small contributor to the Tennessee victory.
    10. I'm not going to worry about this team's postseason prospects right now. It's time to just enjoy what has been a brilliant run down the stretch by a flawed team. They aren't the most talented or successful team UT's had in recent years, but they've flat emptied their buckets the last two months. They should have the thanks of each and every Tennessee fan for that.

2. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Jarnell Stokes is just a beast. Plain and simple.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

The longer Stallings coaches at Vandy the more underwhelming as a coach he has been to me. His teams seem to underachieve at a regular clip, and this team seems to be no different.
    Just an observation, but he spends too much time chewing on the officials. There is a time and place to insert your opinion in efforts to get calls later in the game. But I think he puts way too much effort in it, and at times it looks like his teams are waiting for that chewing to take affect in stead of playing through it.

Ezeli is overrated IMO, and gets handled by any decent big man. He got handled by both of ours today.

Awesome win by UT today. Program is in good hands I believe.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Very proud of this team. It would have been really easy to have won 10 wins this year and have a million excuses as to why.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

They wore their hardhats to work today, that's what put this one in the W column. Just relentless. I love it.

6. franco

franco New Member

total [penis] move by stallings taking his team off the floor without shaking hands at the end. Couldn't give tennessee 15 lousy seconds to celebrate an emotional win.

what a piece of [uck fay]ing shit.

7. BeachVol

BeachVol New Member

Great commentary as always , thanks

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're my favorite poster.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Franco does not like Stallings.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Franco is our Vandy guru.

11. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

I think number 10 pretty much sums the season up. If Martin can recruit at a high level, it'll be very interesting to see the teams he puts on the floor in the coming years. After some shitty times as a Vol fan here recently, tonight's a night to enjoy.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Brandon Wharton was always a favorite of mine too. He just brought it every game and was a good guy to boot. Good write-up per usual.

13. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Member

Signal to noise ratio is off the charts.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I thought that was my role.

15. cotton

I thought that was my role.

16. cotton

The guy throws out a team that wins 20+ and finishes in the top 4 in the conference every year. I don't really like him, and I think his roster is better than his record this season, but that is a pretty damned good track record.

Sorry for the mangled quote. I still hate apple.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Is it safe to say that this was the team's most "Gene Keady" like performance tonight, hat?

18. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

He's been a pretty good regular season coach at vandy

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

His last handful of teams have underachieved. He had a some a few years ago that it seemed like he got everything out of. His track record as of late is solid in the regular season and underwhelming in the post season.

20. volinbham

volinbham Member

From starting the SEC at 1-4 to ending at 10-6; simply amazing.