2016 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Jul 22, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Confirmation bias

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

JQK bringing the HEAT up in this mug.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I thought you valued people that make their own way in the world. Guess that only applies to professions you approve of.

I don't recall ever disparaging your chosen profession. I seriously don't understand the vitriol towards my profession. But whatever makes you feel superior, I guess.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Fwiw I was talking about a few people I know not the entire profession

5. Tenacious D

Don't make this about me. I've neither endorsed nor opposed the merit of JQK's argument, either on teachers or anything else, but was instead speaking to how his comments have lit the thread ablaze with the forcefulness of his comments.

I'm enjoying the ensuing discussion.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

However, I do believe it takes an advanced degree to understand the STAR test scores.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think you have spoken about your desire to end public schools and have only charter and private schools, and your perception of the ranks of teachers figured prominently. Was that someone else? Am I mistaken?

8. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

I only know one engineer joke.

How do you know if an engineer likes you?

When he talks to you, he looks at your shoes instead of his own.

More disclosure - my father is an engineer.

Named otto.

He's prussian. Not just german, prussian.

9. Tenacious D

I would completely privatize public education today, given the option.

I have been consistently clear in my opposition to unions of any kind, including for teachers. I think that the Teacher's Unions - true their name and mission - are intended to advance and protect the singular cause of the teacher's best interests alone, and which may not always be in harmony with what is best or right for education, schools, students, etc. I also believe that it's the worst teachers who both require and receive the greatest protections via the unions, and that this ultimately makes it harder on all-involved - including the vast majority of exceptional persons who teach.

I have never asserted that all teachers - or even more than a very few - are in any way "bad", or that their profession and / or degrees are essentially worthless, as JQK mentioned earlier. I have stated my family is proudly replete with teachers and professors at every level of education (currently four, in my immediate family, as well as several friends) and that it's given me a better-than-average respect for the difficulty of their jobs.

Perhaps that's what you recall?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, that sounds about right, even down to the black fr... I mean, teacher family thing.

11. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

One song does not make one a legend. I cannot think of a second song he did.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Me either but come on man

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My only knowledge of Lee Greenwood is him singing at the 1986 Sugar Bowl halftime show with the Pride of the Southland Band. Him singing about the "hills of Tennessee" with his finger in the air saying number one, right before we come back in the second half to destroy the mighty Hurricanes, is enough to make him a legend to me.

Gives me chills just thinking about it right now.

Crap, just watched it on YouTube, it was a peace sign, not number 1.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  14. CardinalVol

I.o.u. was a solid early 80s ballad.

15. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Actually I liked that song, but did not remember it being by Greenwood. I always wondered if it and Through The Years by Kenny Rogers were a knock off of one or the other?

16. CardinalVol

Probably so.

I had to verify through Google, but holdin a good hand was also a single of his too.

17. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

That'd be needlessly antagonistic. Funny, but counter-productive. We have to find a way to come closer together.

20. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

agree broseph