SEC Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by kptvol, Mar 4, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

First round kicks off Thursday. Discuss amongst yourselves.

[​IMG]

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

We'll see if Martin has inherited the Tennessee gene for underachieving in the SEC Tournament. Ole Miss is a team we should beat, but the type of team that usually takes us out, i.e. a shitty team that has no business doing so. I can't remember how many Ole Miss types have brought our tournament to a premature end. I'm also not enamored with another match up with Vandy in the semis, but it's almost gravy if we get to Saturday.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The only team that I think has completely and totally quit this year is Carolina. I could see any of the other first round match-ups ending in an upset.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

This will be only the second time since 1994 that I don't attend the tourney. The only other time was the '09 tournament in Tampa when UT pissed away a golden opportunity to break the jinx by losing to MSU in the finals.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

My father had quite the run too until Tampa. They really should make Atlanta the full time venue.

6. CardinalVol

Yup.

I don't understand why they don't.

7. cotton

I don't have any problem with them bidding it out and moving it around. The Georgia Dome is probably the worst venue where I've seen it played, followed by the Superdome. Basketball just doesn't fit into a football stadium without giving something up.

My favorite venue was probably the Pyramid the one year they held it there.

8. CardinalVol

Wasn't there consideration to have it at The FedEx Forum at one point?

9. cotton

Dunno, but it would be a good option, IMO.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Best case scenario for us would be MSU upsetting Vandy. Then, we've got a real shot.

11. CardinalVol

Depending on which Mississippi State team shows up, it's not that far-fetched.

Then again, I couldn't entirely write-off UGA beating State round 1 either.

12. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Only if they play in Philips. The ACC does

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Possible Vandy/MSU 2nd round game is interesting.

MSU seems to play well is this tournament, even tho they are sliding right now.

14. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Very true

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Possible Bama/UF 2nd round game is interesting as well.

I could see Bama moving on to play UK.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

My expectations of Florida are very, very low. They're just weak.

17. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I think we match up pretty well with Ole Miss, but they've gotten a second wind since we beat them last time. Not ready to look to Saturday quite yet.

Think LSU and Bama will cruise on Thursday (and both lose Friday), but Georgia and Auburn could be live dogs in the first round. And the Mississippi schools will be live dogs on Friday if they win Thursday

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

19. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

One thing I don't think has been mentioned is that I would think we really need Ole Miss to win their first round game. We need the benefits, both perceived and actual, of beating another team with a higher ranked RPI.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's true. At the same time, our case has only been getting stronger since Tennessee left the court. Other bubble teams are shitting the bed left and right. I am now thinking one win against anyone in they conference tourney will be enough.