Picked 11th, finished 2nd

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by volfanjo, Mar 4, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Congrats boys.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Its really more of a feat than most understand.

3. volinbham

volinbham Member

posted in another thread but we were 1-4 in the SEC at one point. Finished 9-2.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yep. As impressed with the Bruce-Cuonzo transition as I was with the Buzz-Pearl transition.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I don't want to start World War 3, but Cuonzo Martin is the anti-Dooley. He never once pointed out the team's weaknesses, placed all blame on his shoulders during the hard time, and deflected praise at every turn. He never even talked about the NCAA cloud that much. He has honored our university in his short stay here.

6. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

This team is ballin. Hats off to them and Zo.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think Cuonzo said it best yesterday when he said he'd be lying if he thought they'd be in this position this year.

No matter what happens, this has been a fun team to watch the last month or so.

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

This makes me smile. Congrats to Coach Cuonzo and the players for not getting down early in conference play and making a spectacular run to end the season. I'm looking forward to what Cuonzo and the boys can do next year.

SEC Preseason Media Poll
    1. Kentucky
    2. Vanderbilt
    3. Florida
    4. Alabama
    5. Mississippi State
    6. Arkansas
    7. Ole Miss
    8. Georgia
    9. LSU
    10. Auburn
    11. Tennessee
    12. South Carolina

SEC Final Standings
    1. Kentucky
    2. Tennessee
    3. Vanderbilt
    4. Florida
    5. Alabama
    6. Mississippi State
    7. Ole Miss
    8. LSU
    9. Arkansas
    10. Auburn
    11. Georgia
    12. South Carolina

9. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

They nailed the top and bottom, anyway.

10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I will remember this team's efforts for a long time. They reminded us through sheer will and determination of what is great about college athletics. I cannot say how proud I am of this team.

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Outside of UT, that's actually some pretty good predicting. Georgia and Arkansas are 3 spots off of their projected finish. Everyone else is within 1, I believe.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Agreed. And if it weren't for us being off, Arky and UGA would be off two and everyone else would be nailed.

edit: after further review this is not exactly true.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

To defend the prognosticators, none of them had clairvoyance enough to foresee the addition of Stokes. How do you think we finish without him?

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is why I like him. He had a lot of legit reasons to suck this year. He never mentioned them and now Tennessee is #2 in the SEC.

I honestly believe he's the SEC COY, but it will probably be split between he and Cal.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

To add to the "Martin is the anti-Dooley" conversation, remember that he suspended Hall who was a valuable contributor to that point. He never made it an excuse, and he didn't give Hall a pass either.

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

8-10 range

The attitude of the season changed after the first KY game, when they saw what they had in a team mate.

To add to that. Martin made it work midstream which was remarkable in that the transition was seamless under the circumstances.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Plucked this from TOOS.
    [​IMG]

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dancing?

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

It's always possible to read too much into a snapshot. With that disclaimer, I think it's very interesting to see the smiles on the faces of Woolridge, Washpun, and Miller. When the guys not getting minutes are on board, you know the coach is doing something right.

20. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Hey, Hat. How are you doing?

Love 'Zo's suit.