Bracketology now includes UT

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Beechervol, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

2. Beechervol

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Damn you Austin Peay!

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If there really is an emphasis on how you finish, I don't see how the committee keeps this team out.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Unless we shit the bed in the first round, I feel like we'll get a bid

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I won't feel comfortable unless we get to Sunday. Not necessarily sure that absolutely has to happen, but I think it's dicey at best if we don't.

7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I am pumped out of my mind that we are discussing this.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

We have to win 2 in Nawlins.

1=we don't deserve to make it

2=wer'e robbed if not invited

9. Tenacious D

Sorry - I shouldn't have said "robbed" - I meant that we would have a gripe if not invited.

People who lose to AP, COC, Oakland and GA don't have any claim to being "robbed" by exclusion from the 'AA field...no matter how miraculous and unexpected the turnaround. They don't then get whipped - not beat, WHIPPED - by a depleted team, on the road or not.

CCM has made a believer out of me. This is easily one of my Top 10 favorite UT teams of all-time, and it has come at a time when not just the basketball program, but in some real sense the entire athletic department and the fanbase, could desperately use something of the magnitude of an 'AA bid. But our "story" requires that we fully own each chapter, both the good and the horrendous, not only because it's how everyone else will read it, but because it takes something from this team to recognize its heights, with no mention of its depths.

I honestly thought that the wheels had come off at one point - not on this season, but on Coach Martin and the recovery of our program. And while it hurts our chances at an 'AA bid to recall how horrible and dark it all looked for so long, you cannot fully appreciate the distance which they've since put between them, without acknowledging the depths from which they rose.

And the receipt of an 'AA bid - while incredibly important and desperately needed - will be but a footnote to what has already been an extraordinary season, IMO.

10. Beechervol

I think we can get in with 1, if some other teams trip. Which happens every year. I think with 2 we are a lock.

Its gonna come down to where the most weight place in evaluating UT.

11. Tenacious D

I think we just go win the whole damn thing - and spend the time before selections announced trolling Dan Walken on Twitter.

12. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

To say that we don't deserve to be in the field with one in the SECT implies that the other teams vying for the last few spots are more deserving. I disagree. Most of the resumes of the 'competition' are pretty underwhelming. We have some ugly losses. Their quality win columns are pretty sparse. With one more win, I think our resume gets the needed boost it needs compared to the Northwesterns and Seton Halls of the world. We are by no means a lock with only one but look to have a decent chance.

13. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

You named arguably the two most vulnerable teams I keep seeing included in projected fields. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Minnesota and Providence take care of those two in the first rounds of their respective tournaments.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Do you mean across all programs or just in hoops? For me, I want to see how this team treats the SEC tournament before I rank them, but they are very high already.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

RPI is up to 74.

16. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Yeah, I am starting to feel comfortable with the idea that they will only need one more win to get in. It is amazing how weak the bubble is.

17. CardinalVol

Too much in play for only 1. Need 2.

18. CardinalVol

Too much in play for only 1. Need 2.

19. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

I like Minnesota in that one.

20. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I agree. If Tennessee gets two wins, they are pretty much in. I just think there are several teams ahead of Tennessee that could easily tank in the conference tournament. No guarantees though.