Paying off Mortgage with HELOC

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Feb 7, 2017.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Some of his numbers seem off. Like the $3000 and only spend $250 of it. Who can live a month on $250 bucks?

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Somebody explain this in English. I just don't have the wiring to understand this kind of stuff

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It makes sense if you're disciplined enough to do it.

5. CardinalVol

You'd have to be very willing to live on a lot less than you make.

6. NorrisAlan

Sounds like something Leo Getz would come up with!

7. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

This is correct.

It's very possible to do it ... theoretically, it's possible ... but the premise (described at the link) makes a lot of presumptions when it "talks in round numbers".
    Not only do you have to have the willpower to make sacrifices (as CardinalVol says), but you better hope to be a lucky sum[itch bay] who doesn't have thing go wrong with the car, the house, the kids, or the wife, etc... especially the wife.

...best be DAMN sure you've got her on board and that she's just as willing and dedicated to the "team effort" as you are.... no secret credit cards, no binge spending because she was "feeling depressed", etc. etc. etc. Kids doing extra-curricular activities, sports, ballet, piano? All of that is OUT. Eating out is also out. Vacations are definitely out. Realistically, you're about to put yourself on a starvation diet that involves everything in your life.

Yeah, in theory, it can work, but the reality is that ONE thing can blow it all up and put you in a world of hurt.

Bottom line is that if everybody is on the same page about living under means, 'living with less', etc. etc., then you can accomplish the same exact goal by simply cutting expenses and saving money and putting extra towards the mortgage's principal. You can actually get dedicated enough to pay it off in the same time frame as the "ninja tactics" promise.

These tactics remind me of one of those great lines from Hunt for Red October when Ramius says, "...When he reached the New World, Cortez burned his ships. As a result, his men were well-motivated."

Well, that's kinda like what using those "ninja tactics" is doing. There's very little to no room for error, backslides, or big strokes of bad luck.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Also this is assuming you have virtually no other debt. Which is unlikely in today's world.

9. CardinalVol

I don't have a dime of debt outside of my mortgage.

10. CardinalVol

I've got a friend tossing it around and I've heard of it before. It's why I asked. It's pretty much way to risky and stressful for me to ever do. Like you said, one thing goes wrong and it crumbles. I'd rather just save up and pay down cash every so often.

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I would opt to make additional payments towards the principle if you can swing it. I've read about the HELOC method before and as most other have said it's more complicated than this guy is making it out to be.

12. NorrisAlan

Yeah, I don't see you not needing a car, tires, glasses, doctor's visits, etc. Also, after 2 years, you would be freaking stir crazy and tired of bologna sandwiches.

If you are single and have a starter home and are 24, it might be doable. Just don't plan on dating or getting married in that 4-5 years.

13. CardinalVol

The plan is to have it paid off in 5-6 years.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

pay your mortgage as usual and invest the difference. I don't get paying off something where you are borrowing at 4% even excluding the tax deduction.

15. CardinalVol

I want the free cash flow every month to do whate I want with it.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how can you not do the same thing with an investment account?

17. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I'm happy just paying my sub 4% interest and pumping any extra into the S&P

18. CardinalVol

Peace of mind of being debt free is worth the 1-2% net spread you get after taxes and fees.

19. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

S&P saw 11.96% in 2016

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I know from a purely fiscal perspective it makes more sense to invest rather than pay additional towards my mortgage. However, I eschew debt and will have greater peace of mind with freeing up cash flow. I don't care that its not the correct fiscal option.