What's For Dinner Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by fl0at_, Aug 26, 2011.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

He's in the sleeping and needing mama all the time stage. I'm fine. My daughter is unsure whether to hug him or lock him in the garage. I'm sure you know what I mean.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

My daughter goes from kissing him to him mysteriously bleeding in a 30 second period. It's funny how bringing home the second child is much easier. I can remember when we first got home with our daughter it was the "oh hell, now what do we do? All those loving nurses are not here and we can't take her back."

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I told my wife the exact same thing yesterday. I was scared to death with our first... her crying, waking up, feeding her, etc. Now it's like: "When he wakes up, we'll wake up and get him. Pretty simple." So much of fatherhood is dreading the idea of certain things -- getting spit up on for one -- and then it happens and your like, "well, I was scared of that?"

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Probably McAllister's tonight. Going big.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Country ham and biscuits

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Fish tacos.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I've been making a lot of Asian food recently and I am trying to expand my horizons with some of the sauces like sriracha and spicy peanut sauce. I basically make fried rice and then douse the stuff with soy sauce, teriyaki, and the above and then throw in some shrimp. It is good; don't get me wrong. But I have hit a culinary wall. Any advice, 8th?

8. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Pack of Cheese Crackers

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

leftover Chinese from some mediocre joint by work.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You could try grilling some chicken in Szechuan sauce and throwing that in there. Dicing up an orange pepper wouldn't hurt, either. You could throw in some ginger, garlic, and chopped green onions.

11. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

KPTs advice is spot on. And I gotta come visit soon evidently. I had Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs. Of course, I spent the afternoon firing a .50 cal all afternoon and destroying some POS pickup truck. I'll take the day as a win, even if dinner wasn't mauch.

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Those as good as I remember them being 20 years ago?

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I can't explain it because money is definitely no longer an issue, so I must be having a mid life crisis or something. I crave Ramen Noodles and Chef Boyardee 4-5 times a week, usually for lunch, but since I didn't get home til after 8 tonight, I satisfied my craving at dinner.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Good call on the pepper and ginger. I love ginger but never think about buying it when I'm at the grocery store.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Come on down, though I think I am making spaghetti and meatballs tomorrow... homemade, though.

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

The ravioli would have been my last meal choice when I was 6 years old. I haven't had Chef Boyardee in at least 15 years, but you may have passed that damn craving onto me. Might grab a can this week.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also you could change it up and get some chow mein type noodles to replace the rice.

And if you are feeling lazy they sell some pretty tasty boxed noodle and sauce combos.

18. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Apologies in advance if you're disappointed. I think a lot of my reasoning is that I get an hour and a half at lunch and I think the pasta and noodles are being craved because we are running A LOT lately for PT and I'm doing even more cardio on my own. Ramen and Chef Boyardee are both quick and easy and allow me to steal a 30-45 minute nap each day. I'm sure BPV, 7th, Float and all the other current and former military types here can attest you take naps when you can get them.

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

While you're in the soup aisle, grab a can of the Wolfgang Puck brand of tomato soup. Add a grilled cheese sandwich and it will change your life.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Haven't had good luck with the box dinners, the exception being those Zatarrin's Jambalaya mixes. I also found a good saffron rice mix but can't remember the brand.