Bye Bye Obamacare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Another log on the fire.

Good? Bad?

Link: http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/322609-gop-releases-bill-to-repeal-and-replace-obamacare

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I like not excluding pre-existing conditions. Don't necessarily like the idea to broadly punish people for not having it by charging higher premiums for gaps in coverage.

3. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Only the GOP could manage to piss off both liberals and conservatives. Medicaid expansion remains until 2020, refundable tax credits= subsidies, and a lot of the tax increases remain. Nothing really to address the costs of healthcare. Good news is that the bill is likely DOA in the senate.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I just wish both sides would put down their egos and get something that will last. I fear this is just another pendulum swing that will be repealed and replaced with the next Democratic Congress. back and forth back and forth

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This is entirely fair.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

"I'm no health care policy nerd, but I think the House is learning what the bumper tastes like when the dog catches the car."

-Rick Wilson on Republicare bill

7. JayVols

8. JayVols

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/06/house-gop-releases-plan-to-repeal-replace-obamacare.html

Talk about Death Panels.

Interpretation: Millions lose health insurance.

Great. Middle class pays more for health insurance while CEOs making millions/year get a huge tax cut. PLUS, the company gets to write off CEO salaries as a "business expense".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/06/22/gop-health-insurance-plan-would-make-workers-pay-tax-benefits/86238420/

In employer provided healthcare plans, costs will be shifted from the company to the workers. If Obamacare was a tax, Republicare is too. Only workers will now pay the tax instead of employers, medical device makers and higher-earning individuals. Just looking out for the middle class, ya know?

Pros:
    No denial for pre-existing conditions. Kids stay on parents plan until age 26. No cap on lifetime benefits. But we already had these.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

The old are the richest demographic in America. It's ridiculous that Obamacare had the poor and young people subsidizing people who use far more health insurance and can afford it.

That doesn't appear to be a huge tax cut at all.

10. JayVols

Generally speaking, yes. Come to Southern Appalachia. Plenty of destitute elderly.

Hell, in my county they can't pass a $10 increase of the wheel tax to fund schools because every commissioner refuses to raise taxes on the elderly in their districts that are already having to choose between food and medicine.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Don't you all already have really high wheel tax though

12. JayVols

It's not cheap, but it's better than a property tax hike. More people pay it.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

And plenty of poor young people too I'm sure. And Medicare covers the elderly and is already means tested. This is for 55-65 year olds who should be in their prime earning years compared to 25 year olds just starting out paying for them.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's also essential there be penalties for lapses in coverage if we aren't going to deny preexisting conditions. otherwise everyone will just wait till they get sick and apply.

15. JayVols

No point in debating this further. It's dead on arrival. And to think they had 7 years to come up with something. It seems the GOP has the whole opposition party thing down pretty good, but are pretty badly lacking when it's their time to lead.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it definitely feels like something they put together quickly.

17. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

And we knew this all along. It's extremely easy to rip apart a flawed product but a great deal more difficult to produce the far superior replacement promised for so long.

18. JayVols

It's the UT fan effect: All coaches are great coaches just because they are at UT. Our plan will be better because it's our plan....

Who knew this healthcare stuff was so complicated???

19. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I know, right? Thank goodness someone finally clued everyone in.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Uranium is used to make bad things, too.