I want some good campus stories shared

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by WM, Mar 6, 2012.

1. WM

WM Active Member

Athlete related, those you either ran into during your time at UT or hung out with.
    Got to be some good ones out there.
    Extra points for Kelly Washington or Ace Clement related stories.

2. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I second this thought.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Didn't happen to me but a buddy of mine got hammered at Cool Beans and was walking home and stopped to piss on a tree. Soon realized someone else was already doing the same. Turned out it was Jason Witten.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Spring of 99, freshman year.

It was about 3-3:30 in the morning and I was headed back to Gibbs (lived there at the time). There was a car sitting in the parking area and a large black man was leaned against the window talking to the driver. I accidentally step on a bag or something and it makes a loud crunch. Dude leaning against the window jumps a foot in the air, spins around, and it's Al Wilson. I stop and my eyes get real big, as I am thinking I may die when I realize who it is.

Al lands, looks at me, smiles and says "Dang dude, I thought you was walking up on me. You scared me."

So there you have it, Al Wilson is scared of me. Said it himself.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I met Kelley Washington's dad at a Ravens-Bengals game in Baltimore. Would you believe it if I told you he was crazy? He was trying to sell Kelley swag inside the corridor and the Ravens concessions people were not fond of his entrepreneurship. I kid you not, he was trying sell squirrel tails, a play on Washington's touchdown "squirrel" dance. I can't make this up.

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Not a campus story but my buddies wife was a perfect ten model and she was invited to the opening of a new club in Indy (years ago). My wife and I were invited as guest of my buddies wife and we were in the same VIP area as Manning and Saturday. I only bothered them for one quick pic but I must admit I felt like some sort of baller for one evening considering my company.

7. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I hung out with Robert Shaw, Phil Sutton, Mickey Marvin, Andy Spiva, Tommy West, Pert Jenkins, Bill Marren, Greg Jones, Greg Kupusta, Craig Puki,Joe Gallagher,and a host of others.

Meet the BIGGEST movie star in the world while there, Richard Kiel!

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I feel like I should be getting your autograph.

9. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

The only thing my autograph is good for is signing my debt card receipts!

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Was with a friend that congratulated Ramar Smith on his game, while passing him in a hallway. Ramar responded with a very mumbled and slirred, "yah know, it is what is." It sounded like "yuhknow, iddiz whad idizz." An awkward moment followed while my friend and I trying to figure out what that response meant, given the original statement.

Also, I used to see Major Wingate almost every day, taking the elevator in Burchfiel to avoid climbing up the entire hill. He is tall and shy, but friendly.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

i've told the Casey Clausen stories before.

Raynock Thopson lived next door to a buddy of mine.

saw this clown who played on the ETSU football team hit a dude in the ribs with a baseball bat. somebody on here told me he's in jail now for all but killing a dude outside a JC bar one night. i wouldn't [uck fay] with him.

12. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

My best friend's uncle is Steve Poole. LB from 72-75. He was drafted by the Jets.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I coached on Witten's uncle's football staff my last two years of coaching. His youngest brother was on staff, too for a couple of years. Jason came around often for golf tournament fundraisers, inspirational talks, etc. Really, really good guy. His youngest brother attended every Cowboys' game possible. His favorite trips involved going to the Pro Bowl in Hawaii with Jason where they would hang out with Romo and Jessica Simpson. He would go on and on about her.

I also coached against Witten in scrimmages while he was in high school. He was truly a man among boys. We couldn't block him at all. Finally, after disrupting so many plays, he wouldn't sack our QB. He would just run past him and pat him on the helmet as if to say, "I could have killed you, but I don't want to kill you. I just want to eat." Seriously, Witten scored the first four times WE had the ball. Cool to see a high school kid progress all the way to a Pro Bowler and return to a local school to help them out. Super good guy. He also has a habit of flying area kids with serious
    illnesses from the area yo Dallas games, giving the the on field VIP treatment. All expenses paid.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I can attest to this. Him and Aubrayo Franklin playing against each other was something to see.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Had a 400 level class, American Foreign Policy since 1945, with Travis "The Inseminator" Henry. I didn't even know the dude was in my class until about November, probably because of the combined number of times each of us skipped class. Anyway, we have a paper/presentation that is 90% of our grade to give at the end of the semester. I did mine on US-Chinese Relations on the Annexation of Tibet by China. Following me is Mr. Henry, who is doing his presentation on Rastafarianism. What the [uck fay] that has to do with US foreign relations wasn't clear, but he did set some sort of record for "You know what I'm sayins" in one speech in human history. I also remember that he was turned on to the subject by his mom's boyfriend, who was a Rastafarian, apparently.

I used to also play basketball with a lot of the players from the team, both men and women. Michelle Snow elbowed me in the chest about two dozen times and Tamika Catchings was like a gazelle, the only Lady Vol that gave me any trouble.

Oh yeah, one day three of us are waiting in the HPER building, having dibs on the next game and, I swear, 10 seconds before we step on the court, Ron Slay and Vincent Yarbrough walk through the doors. I told the guys on the court "Those are our other two" and we held that court for about three hours. Holy shit can Ron Slay talk. He kept telling the other team that they must not have ESPN because they haven't seen him yet, or something like that. I also nervously threw an alley oop to Yarbrough......about 20 feet over his head from just past half court. He gave me a "What the [uck fay] was that?" look and I just kind of shrugged by shoulders. It was actually pretty impressive to overshoot him the way he could jump.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I greatly enjoyed hearing about you playing pick-up games with Ron Slay and Yarbough. Awesome thread.

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I watched Witten run roughshod over Tenn. High, and he certainly was a man among boys. I met his younger brother once, he was our server at a restaurant in Elizabethon.

18. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

This could go in either this thread of the craziest shit thread; since it was college, I put it here.

It was the summer of 2003, and as anyone who went to UT knows, the best time outside of fall on campus is summer. Classes are cake, and the free time is spent enjoying the sun and beer. Myself and 4-5 friends were outside of Grand Forest apartments around dusk, in the street on Grand Ave (vary rarely used then), drinking beer and throwing the football. Said football was provided by the visiting younger (17ish) brother of a resident who had come to visit for the week during his summer high school break. We are having a great time tossing the ball until 4 wife beater with gold chain wearing jacklegs rip down Grand Ave in their 92 sentra. As they are driving the football is dropped and rolls into the road - directly under the car. Ball pops loud as hell and dudes come to a screeching halt. They all jump out and inspect the car as if an IED had just detonated during their beer run and come over to us, bowed up and ready for a fight. We calmly explain it was just a football and there was obviously no damage to their car. Dudes are not satisfied and are looking for a fight. We aren't satisfied with 4-5 v 4 so someone shouts into the apartment complex and 4-5 more friends of ours roll out. It is now basically 2 to 1 in our favor and the guys relent, they don't want to get smacked around and we aren't really wanting to deal with it more than we have to.

This is when it gets interesting. They ask who's ball it was and 17 year old explains it is his. They say "alright man, well run to Fill Your Belly Deli with us on Grand and Forest and we'll grab you a 12 pack for the ball and we'll be gone." We advise against this, but high-school kid thinks this is easy beer and accepts. Group drive up the road. . . . . and don't come back. After about 10 mins we decide to stroll up and see what the deal is. About half way to the store we find 17 year old laying on the ground, obviously busted up and out of his mind stupid from a blow he took to the face. We look him over and ask him what happened, he insists he has no idea except he thinks he was hit with a baseball bat. We look in his mouth and it appears that they knocked out his front two teeth, because there is a relatively large gap in his mouth. His brother jumps into his car and takes him to the hospital. Later that night we get a call from the brother - the high school kid was missing no teeth, he was hit in the face so hard his jaw broke at his chin and separated wide enough to make it appear that his teeth were missing.

I heard later that the cops found the kids that did it, and they got into some serious trouble. Bad stuff all around, but in hindsight we all wish we could have found them first.

19. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

My first couple years of school, I went several times to visit a buddy of mine at Clemson. In some bizarre rooming situation, two freshmen from East TN were put in an on-campus, upperclassman apartment with this guy, a 6’5” All-American track athlete from New Jersey. My buddy comes home one night and hears loud noises and shouting coming from his place. Opens the door to two naked black bodies bouncing up and down on a barstool, chick screaming “YOU’RE THE CHAMPION” over and over. He’d won the ACC 110m hurdles championship, and she enthusiastically appreciated his efforts.

Had some great times trolling Casey Clausen on AIM, but the details are a little fuzzy at this point.

20. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

I was there 2000-05. Anyone else there around that time frequent McGee's on the strip before it shut down/burned down?
    A buddy of mine was a bouncer there, let us all in underage to drink. He got another buddy of his a job as the backdoor bouncer. As a joke I drew a smiley face on red construction paper with the words "Born over 21 years ago". I handed it to this guy when he asked for my ID (he had always let us in after looking at our ID's knowing we weren't old enough). He hands it back and says "I can't let you in, this is a fake ID." I laughed, he didn't. Serious stuff. Fool caused me to walk all the way around to the front to get in.