Spring Practice

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Mar 21, 2017.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Starts today. Didn't even realize it did until yesterday.

8 guys will not participate -

Junior defensive back Micah Abernathy

Redshirt junior defensive back Rashaan Gaulden

Sophomore wide receiver Brandon Johnson

Redshirt senior offensive lineman Brett Kendrick

Junior defensive lineman Kyle Phillips

Redshirt senior wide receiver Josh Smith

Junior defensive lineman Shy Tuttle

Redshirt senior defensive lineman Kendal Vickers

And now, discuss.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm already tired of hearing Butch talk about team 120

3. AbeFroman

AbeFroman Member

[YOUTUBE]BPlsqo2bk2M[/YOUTUBE]

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I will be interested to see Taylor at DE. The guy was athletic enough to play WR in high school. I think he can be another good pass rusher.

Finding another linebacker to go beside Kirkland Jr should be easy, Daniel Bituli and Berry should be 1A and 1B, but we'll hear about Sapp, Jumper, Blakely and Bates a lot.

Moving Richmond to RT and letting Trey Smith go at LT from day one should be another easy decision, especially since Hall will be limited.

Letting Calloway on the field at WR is another easy decision that will be made into an ordeal.

Butch has a lot of talent, but it's a pain in the ass watching him bumble through getting the best 11 out there.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

my favorite quote from yesterday was when he said you have to mold your O/D to what you have.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Evidently he said something to the effect of "it all starts with the weight room." This after essentially not having a strength coach for a year.

7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

His idea of molding his offense around Justin Worley was to run the zone read without the read part. That was a stroke of genius.

8. CardinalVol

He never said he was any good at it, he just said you have to do it.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Immediately thought the same, and about anytime we had any call which dropped Barnett into pass coverage.

10. CardinalVol

Got to be thinking one step ahead. They EXPECT Barnett coming hard off the end. Got to offset that and drop him back.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I really can't take another year of this guy's excuses.

12. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Tell me about it. About the only thing im tuning in for this year are the games. No pre season talk, no shows, nothing. I will watch the games because I'm a fan, but not paying any more attention than that until he gone.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Can't expect him to win with that many guys out for Spring practice.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Except for that time he ran step for step with that Mizzou receiver, that was bad ass

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Same

16. CardinalVol

What's the QB situation look like going into this? I assume G is the odds on favorite to win it.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Who knows, this guy kept Dobbs on the bench 1.5 years while trying to run a spread option.

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Didn't he do that of his own volition - because it was going to be Jumper's man to shadow?

Dead serious, not just taking a shot at Jumper, but I seem to recall at least one play where he pulled up at the line and just assigned himself, but I'm not sure if that was Mizzou. And I think it was thrown to his guy and he defended it pretty well for an incomplete.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He ran step for step with the receiver and the ball hit him in the back. It was a linebacker, but I'm not sure which one. There was confusion and the slot guy was uncovered, Barnett just pointed at the line of scrimmage then stood up and started running

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It was TAMU, not Mizzou