Washington DC

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by KingWebbsticles, Mar 6, 2012.

1. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

I'm heading to DC, with the girlfriend, this weekend for a little vacation and was wondering if anyone on board had any tips/suggestions/things to see.

This is my first visit to the Nation's Capital so I'll hit some of the usual tourist-y stuff, ie museums and memorials. Any other items (restaurants, anything) would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the space museum is of course a must see. i've found restuarants in DC to be fairly mediocre considering the size of the population and wealth.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Tough to get it all done in a weekend. I'd hit up the Capital Building and whatever Smithsonian branch interests you most.

Oh yeah, get the navy bean soup at the Capital Building cafeteria.

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If you get tired, you can take a nap on the escalator at Wheaton Station.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Go to the White House, walk up to security, say you have a bomb strapped to yourself and that if you can't speak to the President you'll blow the place sky high.

Will be a memorable weekend, I guarantee.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think if you make it a mission to see the Lincoln Memorial you will also see a host of things along the way; the reflecting pool, the Vietnam War memorial, Korean War memorial and so on. I think Ford's Theater is very cool also.

As for eating, Ben's Chili Bowl is one of those historic places everyone should go to once. It is personally not my taste, but has a lot of cool history surrounding it.

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Where are you staying? The district or the commonwealth?

Jaleo is a good restaurant. The one in the district is just down from the verizon center, which would put it at about 7th and E NW or thereabouts. The chef is kind of a big deal. 60 minutes did a segment on him. [video=youtube;pZQzHzkmA3o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZQzHzkmA3o[/video]

I assume y'all are gonna go out somewhere in the evening. I really like the U street corridor. And you may as well plan on hitting up the U street corridor because you absolutely have have have to go to Ben's Chili Bowl. Ben's Chili Bowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The food at Ben's is about what you would expect it to be (delicious drunk food...I swung by there at 3am last weekend and got a half smoke), but it's the most famous food joint in DC, so definitely try to hit up Ben's.

I'm not much into touristy stuff. Museums, memorials, you know the drill. blah, blah. I actually do think the changing of the guard at Arlington Cemetery is pretty cool, as far as touristy stuff goes.

I would stay as far away from Georgetown as possible. I hate Georgetown so very very much. If you are going to go to Georgetown, at least limit yourself to the waterfront area. There are several restaurants/bars down there right on the river that are cool. Sequoia is the name of one of the waterfront places if you needed a point of reference.

I love love love Adams Morgan, but it might be a bit too grimy for a husband/wife outing. Adams Morgan and U Street corridor sort of connect. Like Ben's Chili Bowl is U and I think 12th. And then if you keep going west on U until you get to 18th, that is basically the south boundary of Adams Morgan, which is essentially the next like 8 blocks north on 18th street until it intersects with columbia and becomes adams mill. Adams Morgan is a great place to pick up some young dirty tail. But, again, I realize young dirty tail is not your primary main objective.

What am I missing? What else might you need to know?

8. kidbourbon

Longest escalator in the western hemisphere.

JT5: have you lived in the DC area? That's some impressive trivial knowledge you just busted out.

9. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

Good info kidbourbon, I'll look into some of that.

I'm not entirely sure where we are staying at. We are crashing with my girlfriend's sister and she attends Georgetown so I assume it is somewhat close.

I'm a big history buff so I enjoy spending the time in museums and seeing the memorials, etc. Plus, all of the stuff you have to see in DC, like the White House and Capital.

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Nah, never lived there, but visited many times. Thinking of making a trip up in May, as a matter of fact.

11. kidbourbon

If she goes to Georgetown, she lives in Georgetown. It's just not my scene -- too many popped collars -- and it's really hard to get around, but I'm sure your girlfriend's sister will have a gameplan.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The Tombs in Georgetown is a good place to eat.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The Korean War memorial is one of the most eerily inspiring monuments that I have seen. The ghostly statues at twilight is awesome. If you walk the National mall, you will see the Lincoln Memorial, The Korean War Memorial, the Vietnam War Memorial and The Vietnam War Wall (awesomely somber place), The WWII Memorial, The Washington Monument, and the Reflecting Pool. Go to see the Declaration of Independence at The National Archives. Have fun and enjoy!

14. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

My favorite Smithsonian was the American History Museum.

Not a Smithsonian, but the National Gallery of Art (West suits my taste more) is awesome.

Old Ebbit Grill is an interesting place to eat....neat Treasury/White House.

The National Mall (Lincoln Memorial, Reflecting Pool, WWII memorial) at night is pretty sweet.

I'm a big fan of DC. I only lived there for one summer and been there 5/6 times on business ... but didn't have to drive, so my impression is probably skewed. But, I hope you have a great time!

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I had to spend a week in hamilton county ohio for work in 2008. Just off demographics I encountered, I have no idea how romney is carrying this county and crazier that he is counting on it.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

No reason to drive in DC.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Two words: Magic. Underwear.

18. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

The cool thing about visiting DC is there is so much in such a concentrated area that you really can't go wrong. You can spend as little or much time as you want walking between the Lincoln Memorial and the Capitol building and surrounding area and whatever you do will be worthwhile. Last time i was there, I stayed at the Hilton where the Reagan assassination attempt occurred.

19. kidbourbon

Oh yeah there is. It isn't like Manhattan where you have subway stops on every corner. I couldn't imagine not having a car.

Hell, the metro doesn't even go to Georgetown or Adams Morgan. There's a stop called Adams Morgan, but it's like a mile away.

20. kidbourbon

Which Magic Johnson now owns.