Colts to Cut Manning

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, Mar 6, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

ESPN says it is going down tomorrow.

2. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Well known that I'm not a Peyton fan and that not counted very much, I don't blame the Colts. More worry about Peyton, especially long term than getting a someone new to build the team around IMO. If Peyton becomes a 'Skin, I'll have no idea what to think or do. I'll till be a 'Skins fan, but it'll sure be weird.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Just can't figure out why he'd go to a hopeless place like Washington. Archie wouldn't let Eli go to the Chargers but he's cool with his other son spending his last years struggling to get to .500 while avoiding paralysis?

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Only places I'd look for as Peyton would the Jets, 49ers or Broncos. I think Broncos are the safest bet, but I can see the 49ers or Jets throwing more money at him. Peyton-Eli in battle of NY would be a lot of publicity for someone with as many question marks as Peyton will have. Of course, it would only be slightly less pub for him to head to San Fran because his road to the Super Bowl will undoubtedly go through Eli, Green Bay and the Saints.

5. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Denver would be hilarious. Let's make that happen, someone.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

last year i would have traded him for Alex Smith in a second. this year i still would, but got damn i really came to like Alex Smith the last few years and especially the last one. somehow, i don't think the 49ers are going to be players in this thing.

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

You really think there's a chance he'd go to Denver? I haven't followed any of the rumors lately, but can't imagine him even considering that.

8. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

why not? While I don't think they are as good as the Jets or especially the 49ers, they certainly aren't far off. Gotta think John Elway at least gauges his interest. Elway is saying all the right things, but I think deep down he would still prefer having a good pocket passer over the chosen one.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wouldn't be worth the backlash if they brought him to Denver.

The Jets would be fools not to try and make something happen.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

i don't know if i could stand both Mannings in New York city. i hate the [uck fay]ing Jets as much as i hate the Giants.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I will be irritated if he ends up in Nashville. We already have that position secured.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Backlash smacklash. They would dominate the AFC.

13. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

As long as he stays the [uck fay] out of the NFC East, I couldn't care less where he ended up.

14. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I don't even......

15. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

my facebook newsfeed is absolutely littered with people from Tennessee talking about how they are no longer Colts fans. I find this hilarious.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

He's going to the Jets.

1. Gigantic market with a team that has feels like they've been good enough to win a Super Bowl, but have instead played step-sister to the Giants.

2. Not only do they blame Sanchez's lack of progress, but worse, that he lost control of the team last season - particularly in dealing with Santonio Holmes. And while more evidence shouldn't be necessary, here's another one - Sanchez's work ethic has been called into question. So, when you've got a QB who is neither technically / athletically proficient nor a leader, who is regressing instead of progressing, and who doesn't seem to care to correct it - the writing is on the wall.

3. As the Jets field one of he league's stingiest D's, they believe that even an average offensive output would make them nearly unbeatable. And they may well be correct.

4. Now that Eli has won 2 SB's, Peyton's presence in NY wouldn't be an undue distraction on either brother - a fact that is of no significance to the Jets, but would be preeminent to Peyton. Recall, before the Giants less-than-probable run this season - Eli was getting flack from the NY media for remarking that he felt that he was an elite QB...and that's after they point-blank asked him the question, to begin with.

5. The Big Apple would love some Peyton Manning, particularly those who work on Madison Avenue. And Tom Condon would reciprocate that sentiment to a tune of 3% of that love. He already owns Eli in NYC, but Peyton is inarguably the better of the two when it comes to media / advertising.

6. Speaking of Tom Condon - there are already mumblings that he's saying that Peyton wouldn't land in the Meadowlands. Believe that at your own peril. It's nothing more than the opening volley of negotiations.

7. I should also mention that Sanchez is entering the fourth year of his 5-year contract? For QB's - especially when they're about to get their second contract, when the determination essentially becomes is he a franchise QB or not (you know the answer to that one) - the next to last season IS the contract year. No team wants to be negotiating with a starting QB who could technically walk - or force the use of the franchise tag - in their final season. So, if true, next season is Sanchez's contract year, for all intents and purposes. So, if the Jets bring in Peyton, and it "ruins" Sanchez...what have they lost, again, exactly?

8. Oh, I almost forgot to also add - you guys do realize that the Jets have already hired Tom Moore as an "offensive consultant" back in July, don't you? Who's that? He was the "offensive coordinator" in Indy and who worked with Peyton for years. If you think that is a small thing, and that the comfort of having a coach whom he trusts isn't that important to Peyton, run on over to Duke's campus and tell him. He's been there for weeks, working with Coach Cut.

9. Finally, and this is little more than a weird coincidence, if even that - had Peyton not returned to Tennessee for his senior season, and entered the draft, instead - guess where he would have landed in the '97 draft? With the Parcells-lead Jets. Unfortunately, when Archie contacted him prior to the draft, Parcells refused to guarantee that the Jets would refuse any trade offer they might receive for him (a legitimate concern, given the many holes Parcell had on his inherited roster). Hearing this, Archie relayed it to Peyton, and it only further cemented his notion to play his senior season (think that's too conspiratorial for you? Ask the Chargers how active Archie was in speaking to them prior to Eli turning pro - hint: once Archie told them, "No" - there was no doubt that Eli wouldn't play for them). Of course, Parcells has long lamented missing out on him, and mentioned it along the course of his career from time-to-time, including when he was brought into Miami as a consultant only a few years ago. Consequently, that's who hand-picked Tony Sparanon for the head coaching gig, although after several seasons of failing in Miami, largely due to inconsistent QB play, he was fired at the end of last season. Which sucks, but he landed on his feet pretty quickly - as he's now the offensive coordinator for the J-E-T-S, Jets! Jets! Jets! Likely, Sporano and Parcells have discussed "the one that got away" in Manning, not that Sporano needed any more motivation for a strong-armed and über-smart QB who could finally run his offense as it was intended. Again, this is just an interesting footnote to a really lame trivia question, but noteworthy, nonetheless.

An argument could be made for all of the teams mentioned earlier, but the smart money is that Peyton lands with the Jets.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

TD, maybe your post should be an article. Good stuff.

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

It is good stuff, showing a good argument based on more knowledge than I expected of the NFL. However there are a couple of flies in the ointment as we old farts say. One, I have a strong feeling Peyton isn't a New York kind of guy. Two, I cannot see Peyton as a big fan of Rex Ryan, and two and a half, would Ryan let Peyton do his thing? I cannot see Denver as a good fit, no receiver strength. Alex Smith is doing too well at the 49ers. I bet Jerry Jones is considering taking a shot at Manning. Cleveland sure could use him, but don't think the Browns will appeal to him. I see him going to either Houston or Miami.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think the receivers in Denver are better than people give them credit for / Tebow makes them look.

20. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Decker and Thomas can play.