Dungy: Titans Had Bounty on Peyton

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Mar 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Also says that he believes that Manning's neck injury stemmed from a hit he took from Phillip Daniels, a DB for the Redskins who was being coached by Greg Williams, the same coach who the NFL just named as having started the bounty system in New Orleans, and now possibly even while he was the DC in D.C.

Curiously, that's the same Greg Williams who has since reunited with Fischer in St. Louis.

If true, just another reason to hate Fischer, and the Titans, IMO.

Link: Dungy: Titans had a bounty on Peyton Manning | ProFootballTalk

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Basilio is going to have a field day with this.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Every team that played Peyton wanted to knock him out of the game, and it's childish for Dungy to act like it was just a Fisher/Titans thing.

I'd bet ever team that plays Brady wants to knock him out as well.

4. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

How much would it take if I wanted to put a bounty on Dungy's elf face, Rodney? Everyone knows you're the type.

5. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

great thread

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

While undoubtedly true - the difference lies between "wanting" - or even being privately admonished - to do so....and institutional using it (via coaches active involvement) and creating a slush fund payment for rewarding those who actually complete the task.

That's what the NFL has taken exception to, and likely, that which Goodell is going to use to absolutely blister those involved. And he's not going to do so simply because it's a slush-funded bounty system (which, as others are now saying, is nothing new in the NFL) - although that wouldn't be overlooked, but because the League has begun to take the most extraordinary steps toward reigning in the type of play which they see as jeopardizing both the near (the game suffers when key players are injured) and long-term (via permanent disability) prospects of the league, itself. While not the purest or most altruistic reasons, it's the most accurate reasoning I can provide - and those which they are deadly serious in quelling what they see as a legitimate threat to the game.

And this scandal - which not only fails to support those efforts, but which contrarily opposes them, and seeks to financially reward those players who intentionally subvert them, and for their own personal and financial gain - is going to allow Goodell (compel, may be more apt) to swing his sizeable hammer on those involved, and I cannot imagine that he'll fail to send a message in doing so.

He almost has to.