#FireColbert

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by GahLee, May 7, 2017.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

To me it's not the same as Louis CK ranting about all kinds of inappropriate things. At the end of the day he can say what he wants I just want there to be a standard for both sides, I know that's not the case.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

How so? He's still an entertainer, regardless of whether it's national TV or not.

3. fl0at_

There is a standard. There are legitimate news sources. And then there are late night comedians.

News. Late night comedy. Clear and obvious difference. One happens to be news. The other late night comedy.

4. fl0at_

Brian Williams, known lefty, did something stupid and got canned. If Anderson Cooper said this, I'd expect heads to roll.

Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart, etc, those guys are not near that level. They are witty; they are not news anchors.

5. GahLee

It's not a true comedic setting. It's not a comedy club where that type of material is expected and understood. We are talking millions of viewers, plus however many hits it gets from various online publications. It's different.

6. GahLee

Since I used Carlson as an example, I'll just stick with him here, say Carlson fills in for one of the late night hosts, he uses the same exact monologue, just crucifies Obama or Hillary. What's the outcome?

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Stewart thought pretty highly of himself and the Daily Show.

8. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Late Night Comedy isn't a scene that you'd expect to find late night humor?

9. GahLee

I get what you're saying and I would agree if I thought Colbert was a comedian or the setting was different. He's a late night host who pushes a political agenda and has a background in politics, albeit political satire, he's still delivering the news. I don't really have a problem with it, I think he went to far considering the platform and audience but I can take it or leave it. I'm simply making the point that it wouldn't go over nearly as well had he been a right winger who did the same to a liberal. That's all.

10. GahLee

C'mon now. It's not a comedy club. There weren't 300 people hearing the joke. Watched a ton of late night shows, never heard any of them, whether it be Letterman, Carson, Leno, Conan, Arseno, none of them went that far. Not that I can remember anyway. I think if you're going to use your late night comedy show to push a political agenda you should be held to a bit of a different standard. That's just me i guess.

11. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Fair enough. I did misread it.

It's a post of clear mislabeling -- as disagreeing with the right doesn't make you a donkey and vice versa -- but you do you, bud.

12. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Held to a different standard? Is the issue here that he said his joke, or that it was said on public-access television? The way you stated that eliminates the latter, and if it's that he said the phrase, then it's ironic that a Trump supporter is the one decrying the use of vulgarities when talking about human anatomy.

13. fl0at_

If Carlson's entire gig was comedy, I'd say he was being a comedian. If he did it and then returned to his job as a news anchor, I'd think there might be some concern.

You know what you have with Colbert. Not so much with a Carlson trying to wear two hats.

It's an uneven comparison, because there really aren't any folks doing satire from the right. Probably because there isn't a market for it.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

You suck d*ck.

I have heard it said as an intended insult all my life. I have never heard it said as a joke. How about you?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2017
  15. fl0at_

Numerous times.

How do you think "you suck" came about to mean you were bad at something? And that's part of the Nashville Predators loud speaker taunting--in a cheery Southern Baptist approved manner.

16. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Who knew the right were such pansies?

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

1906 - You suck eggs.

18. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Uh, yeah.

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Correct; pointing out the hypocrisy of the left is so pansyish.

20. fl0at_

Yes, eggs. Huevos. A Southern Baptist approved word for testicles.

As a heads up, being able to suck a golf ball through a water hose. Not an expression about ones ability to literally suck a golf ball through a water hose.