#FireColbert

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by GahLee, May 7, 2017.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

And you also don't know what a straw man is. When it isn't part of the argument it isn't a fallacy, because it isn't being used in the logic. It is just commentary.

The logic was that you yourself have seen the thing you're questioning here, many times. Just pointing that out.

The other was commentary, in a mocking fashion. Meaning if you are outraged by that for the nature of the joke, rather than the target or the setting, then you are being hypocritical for not also calling us out for it here in the past.

If I make the above, i.e.: your hypocrisy, here, the crux of my argument, then it's a straw man. But I'm not. I'm addressing you're assertion, not your hypocrisy.

2. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Colbert is being investigated by the FCC, so that's something. I don't really think a conservative comedian would get fired for saying something like this.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I bet a guy says that about Hillary and he's toast.

4. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Melting? Get a grip.

5. GahLee

It's as if you made a really bad comparison and I pointed it out.

6. GahLee

Without a doubt.

7. NashVol11

It's a little different when it's a woman, be it Hillary or Sarah Palin. You'd probably get in more trouble than this for either one

8. GahLee

Why?

9. fl0at_

I'm not making a comparison, that's what I'm pointing out, to you.

Read his statement, he said he's never heard this saying in a joking manner. To which we have a back and forth about "You suck," and its modern connotation. I merely point out that he has heard a variation of the theme, many, many times, and often in a joking manner.

I disagree with your view, but your argument is valid. His is invalid, and I'm pointing out why.

If you would like to take up his argument, as you appear to be doing now, I'm game.

10. NashVol11

Because you'd be reinforcing a previous stereotype that women are only good for sex and sandwiches or whatever

11. fl0at_

Locker room mentality.

Howard Stern made a living saying shit like this every day, as do many other shock jocks.

Why does the fact that it has a picture attached to the words make any difference?

12. GahLee

Ok.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Honestly I doubt Sarah Palin gets much of a stink raised about her.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or wins you higher office.

15. GahLee

I may be wrong here and he can correct me if I am. I think he was putting aside jokes among friends and was focusing more on mainstream types who's words will be picked apart.

Guys are crude. If you haven't told a [penis] joke in your life or laughed at one, you're probably not that much fun. That said, I do agree with him when he said he thinks he's using comedy as a guise to unleash what seem to be very personal attacks.

Colbert knew it would cause a hysteria to a degree, probably bump the ratings, he also knew he could get away with it, a line like that doesn't go on air without pre-approval. No way. I'll contend that it never would have gotten past producers of the show had it been about a liberal instead of by a liberal.

10 years ago Ahmadinejad was allowed to speak his truly hateful and ignorant views at Columbia University, the man that invited him was all to familiar with what he was likely to say. But he was allowed to speak. Fast forward 10 years and right wingers such as Ann Coulter are having their entire speeches suppressed and met with violence on college campuses.

The left has created a culture war and have claimed superiority in the PC world. Determining what's acceptable from their advisories while not even trying to toe that line themselves.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Was this bleeped when aired?

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Do you have a wife? Girlfriend? Mother, sister?

Call her a whore. Let me know how it goes.

18. GahLee

Fair enough. Let's keep it apples to apples. I'm fine with that because I'm completely confident that a similar attack on a male liberal would be met with way more anger and outcry than what we are seeing here.

And again, I don't really mind what he said, I just want conservatives to be able to operate under the same guise without fear of public persecution.

19. GahLee

Nope. None of the above.

20. GahLee

Of course. It's not a live show.