Comey Testimony

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Live Link: https://www.c-span.org/video/?429381-1/former-fbi-director-comey-set-testify-russia-probe

Comey's opening statement (as posted on Senate Intelligence Committee's website yesterday):

Link: http://www.npr.org/2017/06/07/53164...ent-for-senate-intelligence-hearing-annotated

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I doubt there will be anything explosive said.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The spinners on both sides will be out in full force.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Probably nothing explosive of substance, but I was a little surprised at the forcefulness of Comey saying that Trump lied about the details surrounding his firing. Otherwise, I think this hearing will be a matter of the Democrats and Republicans trying to formulate the discussion towards their talking points and Comey reiterating the points he made in his statement while saying it's not for him to decide whether or not that was obstruction.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am beginning to think Flynn and possibly sessions are the one who ultimately could find trouble. Trump may indeed be innocent of any Russian shenanigans himself.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It is my understanding that if he decided it was obstruction then he was obligated to go to the Justice Department. The fact he did not go to the Justice Departments proves that he decided there was no obstruction.

7. Tenacious D

I neither know nor give one whit as to how this may affect Trump or any investigation, but I do believe that Comey is sincere in trying to do what he thinks is right and best - however misguided, poorly judged, or errant that may be.

He is absolutely part of the DC elitist machine, or at least an insulator of it, but he has never struck me as being unreasonably partisan or willfully dishonest.

I think he grew far too big for his britches, and that he, in his service as FBI Director, somehow followed a trail of mistaken assumptions to the errant conclusion that he / the FBI exempts him from the DOJ chain of command, and to which he could neither see nor correct - and this is why he was ultimately fired. His inability or unwillingness to admit this rather egregious error likely persists, he's obviously angry at Trump for having been fired, and wants to exact some political flesh for it (and I'm sure he will attempt it, or to introduce the possibility of it, in earnest).....but all of this being said, I don't think that he would sacrifice his honesty.

It's hard for me to perfectly explain how I see Comey. I don't think he has been correct, deserved to be fired, and even though I know he wants to exact some level of revenge on Trump....I don't think he'd go so far as to play out of bounds, or to sacrifice his personal honor.

8. Tenacious D

That was a big moment - and a forceful statement, for sure.

And, not taking a jab at you, him or anyone else.....but had he sooner realized that the decision to determine the application of criminal charges was well beyond his role as FBI Director, he'd probably still be in that job, today.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Do you just make this up as you go along, tenny? This isn't what was said regarding Clinton.

10. Tenacious D

I love reading this, and certainly hope that there was no Russian involvement of any kind, by anyone - but I can't agree that any evidence which is found of this, and the trouble it brings, would land on Sessions and Flynn, alone, not from a criminal standpoint, but from a purely political perspective.

I do not - and barring the fantastically unforeseen - believe that any "trouble" that Trump may experience from this will even risk criminality, but will be purely political, instead. It will come as no shock to you (or anyone) to know that I think that it is the fomenting of this kind of "trouble" for Trump which is exactly - and intentionally - the point.

11. Tenacious D

What are you talking about?

12. Tenacious D

This is the portion of Un's comments that I was referencing, IP.

Hope that isn't making anything up.

FAKE POSTS, and whatnot.

13. Tenacious D

For a Californian Democrat, I also don't immediately hate and distrust Feinstein, either.

14. Tenacious D

Nice presupposition - "President Trump asked you to stop an investigation....." and then Comey just accepts it? Please.

Did he just forget what he just said in response to Risch?

15. Tenacious D

Well.....we do know whether you would say that something was wrong, or not.....you wouldn't. Because you didn't. Neither then, in that moment, or later, to anyone beyond the FBI leadership.

Comey's judgment is sincerely under question here, as is the rest of the FBI leadership, and the assumptions they seem to have made.

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I thought the same.

17. Tenacious D

I wish Marco would learn the importance of having any semblance of a ground game, completely drop and forever denounce his love for amnesty......because that guy could be such a monster for the GOP.

He's got so much going for him, that it's hard to fully measure.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's been a complete waste of time. shocking

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

pay better attention.

20. Tenacious D

If he shared this information with that group of the FBI's leadership - INCLUDING with general counsel - and the result of those conversations ultimately lead to nothing more than the filing of a private memo, then only the following seem reasonably possible:

1. They collectively determined that there was nothing substantive or actionable to Trump's comments and actions, or even worthy of reporting to their superiors, or
    2. Something Trump said or did was collectively deemed to be substantively actionable, but they chose to ignore and failed to report it, even to the point of failing to disclose (or even mention) it while under oath to Congress, and when specifically asked.

If the former, this is nothing but a disgruntled man who felt he had a Get Out of Jail FREE card, and is angry that such wasn't the case......or someone who is complicit in wrong-doing, and who failed in his duties as FBI Director.

His continuous referencing of the "FBI Leadership" isn't having the effect he likely felt that it would....he's throwing others under the tires of a bus that he pushed into motion.