Obama and His Accomplishments

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The Washington Monthly - The Magazine - The Incomplete Greatness of Barack Obama

Living as a liberal in the great state of Tennessee has many exasperating consequences. Coming from Wisconsin, where people are often widely diverse and generally accepting of divergent view, it's always startling to get the rabid anti-liberal backlash from the areas around here. So, I often find myself in the position of explaining why I think Obama is actually doing a decent job to an incredulous doubter who ferevently believes the President is actively trying to undermine the United States, hates white people, even someone, who was otherwise fairly normal, that told me very firmly that Obama was "part of a sleeper cell". Of course, beyond these unbalanced opinions are those like most of my family, who has known Obama as simply a liberal and that's enough for them.

So, it was nice to come across a welll reasoned, if obviously partial, article that expresses my advocacy of Obama's administration thus far. I think it rises above the fluff, not simply a partisan hack job of the other sides terrible misdeeds, and is well worth the read.

* Warning, it's a long read.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I agree with this part!

3. Unimane

You mean you agree with my astonishment at these ideas or actually agree with them? Please don't tell me that you actually blieve Obama is purposely trying to bring down American society and influence.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

When the chief editor is a former Bill Clinton speechwriter, I'm going to have a hard time thinking it's essentially the Weekly Standard from the left.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And suspicion confirmed after reading it.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Hates a strong word. . How about strongly dislikes white people? Fair enough?

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Bill Clinton is my homeboy. I really really liked him.

8. Unimane

No, it's still [uck fay]ing stupid.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not sure how that could be a long article.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Whoa. You're actually arguing that Obama isn't a racist POS?

Not sure if serious.

11. JayVols

Not an Obama defender, but really? To quote you, "Whoa."

12. Unimane

Uh, yeah. The real question is how you could gather that's he's a racist POS as it is. Hell, he's half-white as it is, grew up in a white family, mostly white schools and most of his trusted advisers are white. How the hell are you getting that he's a racist POS? Is it simply another made up conception of Obama that conservatives continually create or is there some real, tangible evidence of racism (much less some that warrants the label "racist POS", like he's the equivalent of the KKK or something)?

13. Unimane

That doesn't matter. It simply does a good job of elaborating on many of the points I make about Obama and referenced it as a tool to explain why people think Obama is, generally, doing a good job. Whether the guy is a former Clinton speech writer is irrelevant, either the content is valid or it isn't.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Obama hailed himself as a transformational president and I am not sure what exactly he would hang his hat on. (Maybe drinking beer in the Rose Garden with a cop and disgruntled professor is the closest thing I can come up with). If someone has to write an article to explain to the American people what the President did or didn't do, I think the administration has lost the battle. It is the President's job to articulate his case and clearly Obama has stumbled on that account. Case in point: In 2004, the Democrats ran against George Bush's record with little success. In 2006 midterms they did so with great success. In both cases there was a "record" on Bush, and a record that by and large Bush cultivated and promoted. Whatever President Obama has purported to do it isn't worth a hill of beans if people believe -- rightly or wrongly -- you twiddled your thumbs while Rome burned. I don't think the stimulus package, troop removals, or the health care bill are things you can win elections on. Though I'm not sure these are things you lose elections on either.

15. JayVols

(I understand the elections are a ways off and things can drastically change)

Despite your claim that Obama has failed to articulate his successes, Jo, he leads every single Republican candidate in the early polls. He must not be doing as bad a job articulating as you perceive.

Or, all the Republican candidates suck.......really hard........even more suckage than Obama.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He is doing fine according to people riding the system.

17. Unimane

That's just a convenient cop out argument, as if the welfare recipients are keeping his re-election campaign afloat. There are plenty of reasons to support Obama besides the dubious argument that the moochers are running the show. In fact, the biggest welfare recipients under Obama have been the larger banks, auto industry and other parts of the "1%". I don't see any real expansion of the welfare system, either, so this argument really is simply another one of the red herrings thrown around by conservatives in their relentless assault on all things Obama.

18. JayVols

No smartass intentions at all intended, but that is a pretty narrow explanation. We both know there's more to it than that. I would really like to see some stats on the percentages of how many welfare recipients actaully do vote. I seriously think that the numbers would be somewhat surprising (as to how low the percentages are). That is completely speculative opinion on my part. I just don't see the welfare folks getting very motivated about anything.

Don't get me wrong 27. I am a believer in welfare reform. I don't favor eliminating it. I do favor placing time limits on it similar to unemployment. There's no excuse for generational welfare families. It should be a bridge not a hammock.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  19. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I think that with Obama, what you have is a president who thinks he is doing the country a service with the policies and whatnot that he has put in place. They are not very good (most of them anyway), but I do not think he is purposely trying to harm the USA. Whether he is blind by reckless ambition or stupidity, I do not know, but I honestly think that he thinks everything he is doing/has done is what is best for the country and itts certainly not the case.

20. JayVols

You just described every president that we have ever had. They all think what they are doing is the right thing to do. They are politicians, of course they are going to [uck fay] it up. It's as sure as the sun rising.