Bob Stoops Retiring

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Maybe hes thinking there will be an opening in Knoxville next season

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Can't care.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Doesn't the timing for this seem a bit odd?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's either

A) health

B) he told the ad to go to hell

Or

C) he's screwed up and is avoiding getting fired.

I doubt it's C, as he's an 18 year veteran.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I've heard some speculation he was pissed about them planning the successor's contract.

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Damn. One less coach Butch will get good job texts from.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This "feels" most likely to be true.

I also wonder if he isn't pulling an ol' Meyer here....leaving because he has somewhere else to land, but doesn't want himself / the new school to be seen as having wrecked his marriage to OU.

If so, where might that be? Florida? Norte Dame?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

UT. You're blinking it in Morse code.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

That'll have hat rolling up with a nature boy "woo!" with a lady on each arm and a feather boa draped over his romper.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this is my belief as well. he can take this season off to see his kids play their final year of HS football and recharge and then go where he wants at the end of the year without looking like a complete ass.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Bob Stoops and Chip Kelly being available should make for a very interesting offseason.

13. cpninja

cpninja Member

TAMU

14. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

No way, they're aiming higher than that. If they don't get an established stud (Kelly maybe), I think they'll throw a ton of money at whoever the hottest up and comer is.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He would come to Knoxville in a second if he still wants to coach.

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Higher? That is a very small pool.

17. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Higher was probably poor word choice. Given the resources they've committed to their program, I think they want to make a splash hire, and I don't think Stoops is that. It may be a good and low risk hire, but it won't be an easy sell to the fans, imo.

18. cpninja

cpninja Member

My question is, who is a splash hire aside from Kelly? TAMU isnt poaching Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh, etc. All the hot young coaches got snatched up last year. Lincoln Riley probably would have been #1 on most lists, had he not just been handed the OU job. It's pretty slim pickings for a "championship" caliber coach right now.

I dont have any knowledge of what TAMU will or wont do, nor if Stoops is serious about his retirement. But for a program that just invested so heavily into football, do they bring in a guy who won 10+ games in 6 of his last 7 season(along with 4 conference titles and made a playoff appearance), or some guy from the MAC/C-USA/etc that the fans have to google? Every single school should talk to Chip Kelly first, but once that option has been exhausted, where do "championship" caliber programs go this year?

19. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Not for us.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Oh yeah, I didn't mean it that way.