Gunman shoots up gop softball practice

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Jun 14, 2017.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Old white guys smoking cigars :)

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

[video=youtube;gHCxuuaTWq8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHCxuuaTWq8[/video]

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hard to talk smack when their team got shot up the day before.

But not impossible- who needs to score runs when the dems just redistribute the trophy to the losers anyway?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can't watch right now. Will look this evening.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Pelley said, “It’s time to ask whether the attack on the United States Congress yesterday was foreseeable, predictable, and to some degree, self-inflicted. Too many leaders and political commentators who set an example for us to follow have led us into an abyss of violent rhetoric which, it should be no surprise, has led to violence. Yesterday was not the first time. In December of last year, a man with an assault rifle stormed into a Washington-area pizzeria to free child sex slaves whom Hillary Clinton was holding there—or at least, that’s what political blog sites had said. He fired into a locked door, to discover no children in chains.”

He continued, “Bernie Sanders has called the president the most dangerous in history, and the shooter yesterday was a Sanders volunteer. You might think that no sane person would act on political hate speech, and you’d be right. The trouble is, there are a lot of Americans who struggle with mental illness. In February, the president tweeted that the news media were the “enemy of the American people.” Later, at a lunch for reporters, President Trump was asked whether he worried that that language would incite violence. His pause indicated it had never crossed his mind. And then he said, ‘No, that doesn’t worry me.’ As children, we’re taught ‘words will never hurt me,’ but when you think about it, violence almost always begins with words. In Twitter world, we’ve come to believe that our first thought is our best thought. It’s past time for all of us, presidents, politicians, reporters, citizens, all of us, to pause, to think again.”

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is noticable that the language used in political disagreements is more adversarial and violent.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It seems that Bernie failed to heed his own advice after the Giffords shooting:

As the elder statesman of Arizona politics McCain needs to stand up and denounce the increasingly violent rhetoric coming from the right-wing and exert his influence to create a civil political environment in his state.

8. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

That's what every political thread over there is all about

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

While I'd prefer politicians, political analysts, and pretty much anyone discussing politics behave with more civility, it's because of how divisive the rhetoric typically is and what it does to normal folks. I don't think we can walk around on eggshells because we are scared lunatics might act crazy based on something Bernie Sanders says.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you think Bernie sanders is a major part of this problem, I dont think you are being realistic, objective, fair, or attentive. JMO.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I think that Sanders, Warren, Ryan, Tea Party Wing, Waters and all in general are part of the problem. They would rather demonize the other party rather than work together to get anything done.

It hasn't always been that way. Tip O'Neil could work with Reagan. It has gotten bad. Shame on us for putting these jackasses up there over and over.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

As well as their followers. If you compromise, you are labeled a traitor.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If rhetoric was partially to blame for the Giffords shooting as Sanders claimed, cant it also be claimed that rhetoric was partially to blame for this shooting. And Sanders as a contributor to the rhetoric is part of the problem and not the solution.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you can mention Ryan and sanders but fail to mention trump, you are simply being intellectually dishonest. A man campaigned on locking up his opponent, and suggesting maybe gun owners could stop her. The things he said about Obama...

Ya, sanders called him the most dangerous president. Sorry if you feels that incited a man to shoot a congressperson. He should tone it down. Don't moan about Ryan or Warren when you ignore and carry water for the clearly transformative man in the highest office. He took a trend and set a new standard.

I'm not saying this is on him, I'm saying it is ludicrous and clearly wishful thinking to think that Bernie ****ing sanders has fomented violence more so than most any person in elected office in the last 10 years, and to ignore the elephant in the room is just beyond reasonable benefit of the doubt in terms of your objectivity.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I originally typed "Trump" but decided that he could be included in "and all in general are part of the problem".

As far as Intellectual Honesty:

If rhetoric was partially to blame for the Giffords shooting as Sanders claimed, cant it also be claimed that rhetoric was partially to blame for this shooting. And Sanders as a contributor to the rhetoric is part of the problem and not the solution.

16. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

That's where I would put Bernie. Trump is basically the number one example of said rhetoric, so it seems weird to list others by name and not him.

But that's just a side note. It does come from both sides.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Trump's just better at it than the rest. However, he isn't really an innovator or originator and the problem won't really abate much when he leaves politics.