UT currently #7 in 2018 recruiting

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by dc4utvols, Jun 21, 2017.

1. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If you don't believe he can win the SEC, you don't employ him. It isn't really that complicated.

At Tennessee, you play for championships. "Competitive" is not the objective here. And the moment you lower that expectation, you piss on everyone who worked so hard to make this place a standard for success in college football.

And you don't need to hire a "rock star" to win the SEC. There's only one Nick Saban, but there are plenty of competent winners out there....Butch isn't one of them.

"But who ya gunna get?" Someone else. If he's wrong, he's wrong. On to the next one.

2. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

You're welcome. :)

But seriously your point about mush-chimp is well taken, however, if we are beating Saban we will be beating mush-head. If you are beating Saban you are contending for SECCs and NCs.

To my other point it could be and has been worse and I expect with this bunch that if they fire Butch without the rockstar in hand they will screw up the next hire. They had 32 years of not needing to do a real search and hire anyone. Their track record after firing Fulmer does not lend itself to one of confidence. Davenport has already shown signs of idiocy and Currie's past leads one to pause.

Fire Butch and risk [ddiapos] 2.0? Hell no!

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They would have to actively try to locate a coach as bad as Dooley.

4. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Sure I dont disagree in principle but this bunch cant shoot straight and you are looking at min of 3 years in the wilderness with each hire. This place hasn't been a standard for success in well over a decade. At some point you become Notre Dame or Nebraska.

Eventually every NFL coach is going to get fired. Hold on until one them has a few bad seasons and gets the ax. Names like Carroll and Harbaugh come to mind. You arent going to get Gruden out of the easy chair. Maybe Kelly but will his stuff work at UT?

I dont have a good answer on who but when he is hired it should be an aha moment just like when Bama hired Saban they all new they would be back to winning NCs.

5. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

There are countless coaches that can do what Butch has done here so far. A mediocre coach the last 2 seasons wins 10 games in the regular season (at minimum) and wins the east both years.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We hire Kelly and it's UT-Bama in the SECCG for the next eight years.

7. BigOrangeBeech

I've been curious to ask everyone's opinion on this site about the following and I guess here is a decent place to ask it.

For the last 3 years switch Butch with Mcelwain. What is their record head to head? And how many times would we have won the east these last 3 years.

8. BigOrangeBeech

Given the HC situation at all the other east schools and assuming they continue on with where they are, I would agree.

9. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

They hired Davenport a nobody from Cincinnati who turned around and set a bar that she couldn't even clear to prevent Fulmer and Blackburn from even getting a real interview. She is clueless and tone deaf. She went with Currie? This is the AD to right the ship? Maybe, but color me skeptical.

Heck the AD should be a direct report to the system president and the FB coach should have Saban like autonomy. The system pres should be a UTK grad who poops, pees and bleeds orange.

You want to beat Bama and contend then you have to be like Bama and contend. Moore as bama a bammer as there ever was, got turned down by Saban but keep coming back until he gave in.

You think Davenport will give Currie free reign and a blank check?

Not gonna happen but maybe the rockstar can be had when he is between jobs or just approached on the down-low and UT doesn't smack of desperation of the girl turned down for prom dates with less than a week to go to the big dance.

10. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Mac is an O guy and they have sucked on O since Mushy. He inherited a championship caliber D when he arrived. He would not have had anything comparable to work with at UT. Throw in Fla has a recruiting advantage over UT. Dont get me wrong UT can recruit with anyone because its UT but you still have to put in the work. If it weren't for FSU and a resurgent Mia., Mac could sleep through recruiting and land a top 10 class.

I feel like he has lucked into winning the east. IMHO the jury is still out on him.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He's won the East two years in a row without a QB. Butch wouldn't have been bowl eligible in that situation.

12. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Sounds reasonable but that D was the difference IMO.

I think I could win the east coaching at Fla. and I would be drawing up plays in the dirt.

13. BigOrangeBeech

You switch the two and Mac is 3-0 against Butch aND wins the east at least the last 2 seasons. I by no means think he's a great coach, just stating how terrible Butch is.

14. BigOrangeBeech

Should have just said last 2 years since Macs only been there 2. But the point still stands.

15. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

He was given an NFL defense. Let's see how they do this year.

16. BigOrangeBeech

I think they win the east again this year.

But I think yall are still missing my point. I'm not trying to point out how awesome JM is. I'm simply pointing out that an average coach such as he, would have won the east with our roster the last 2 seasons here. It would not have taken much for a coach that is able to hold his pants up, to win this sucky division.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  17. chavisut

I think we beat them again and they go about 7-5.

18. BigOrangeBeech

Do we win the east in your case?

19. chavisut

Georgia or Tennessee. Leaning UGA.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think McElwain is much better than Butch. That being said, I think Tennessee wins the east the past two years if you switch.