Butch at SEC Media Days

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Jul 10, 2017.

1. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

over the past 10ish(?) years, winning the East has hardly been anything to brag about.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

"We fought and overcame many injuries and youth to get our East Championship after a great 9-3 season. Unfortunately, we had to turn right around the next week and play in the SEC Championship game. Having 2 games in 7 days is critically hard on a young program like ours. But, we again overcame this adversity and rebounded with a great victory for our Motor City Bowl Championship."

3. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

He finally saw what we all have known for quite sometime.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

His infomercial after the "disappointing" comment was priceless.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Did I miss something:

@werucker247
    New rule: You’re allowed to question Swain’s loyalty to Tennessee when you also let UT wreck your knee enough to cost you NFL millions.

6. Beechervol

Interesting

7. atlvol1

atlvol1 Member

Finebaum roasted Butch and our complacent fans. Said Butch was trying to lower expectations and then:

“What frustrated me on Monday is this: ‘We inherited a very difficult situation. We inherited a program that was 2-14 against Power 5.’ That’s ridiculous. In your fifth year, you shouldn’t be talking about your first year. You shouldn’t be going through a transition. Alabama isn’t the example everyone wants to hear, but Nick Saban, after five years, had won a national championship and was about to win another one.”

It’s clear that Finebaum isn’t sold on Jones as a head football coach and seems to wonder if the Vols have hit their ceiling under Jones. Regardless, Tennessee shouldn’t be happy with 8-4.

“When I hear a school like the University of Tennessee say we’re happy with 8-4 and we don’t want to play Alabama — not specifically the university saying it but the apparatus of fans and media. I just shake my head,” Finebaum said. “Tennessee football is a major entity. If you say ‘8-4 is okay. We couldn’t find anyone better,’ then you’re losing it."

Amen.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Swain is often a little bit critical of Jones. Never heard him outright say the guy needs to be fired, but he doesn't just approve of everything automatically. That's enough to register as mutiny with a good portion of our fan base.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think it cost him millions, but he did wreck his knees playing here. He also, to my knowledge, never missed a game due to it. By the time he graduated, he lost a lot of speed due to the S&C coach bulking him up and his knees going away.

I know some blame the S&C program for getting him too big and ruining his knees.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also pretty sure Swain was able to at least get a shot with the Bears but quit.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, I think he managed to stay on the practice squad a few weeks into the season

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also Swain never had elite speed. He was far from a sure bet to make it in the pros. Liked him a lot here, but never thought he'd be an NFL starter. He was the one guy that seemed to be consistently good during his time here. Even though Meachem was better, he flat out sucked in 2005.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I figured there was some kind of verbal fued, either direct or indirect, between Jones and Swain at media days, that brought this on.

Sounds like it was just Swain being himself.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

May have been. I really don't know, but several times before I've heard Swain complain about callers and guys on their chat box questioning his loyalty because of him criticizing Butch.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't get the loyalty to Butch deal.

16. Beechervol

Jones can't use the word disappointment to describe the last half of the season (specifically SC and Vandy).

Saban calls losing in the NC game a "failure"

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's the difference between a perennial 8-4 coach and a multiple national title winner

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Compare this 2nd year Head Coach (Kirby Smart) comments to our Coach speak.

As far as expectations, I know everybody wants to talk about it and ask questions about it. For me it’s important that you understand as the head coach of the University of Georgia, I’m proud to be there, but we embrace those as the coaching staff, we embrace those as our players, when you come to the University of Georgia, the expectation is to win championships. That’s what we expect to do at the University of Georgia, and that’s the standard we’ll be held to.

He said this in many interviews yesterday. He also took a shot at Butch

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And Georgia hasn't won shit since Herschel

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Kirby may be what kills Jones. All this talk and he actually won. Imagine when he loses.