Deportations Cases Up 60% in LA

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Los Angeles deportation cases have jumped 60 percent under President Donald Trump as Barack Obama’s “administrative closure” rules are set aside.

Through “administrative closure,” the Obama administration closed deportation proceedings, allowing illegal aliens to remain in the country so long as they checked in with immigration officials on a regular basis.
    According to Southern California Public Radio, the pendulum has now swung to the opposite side under Trump, and deportation cases are full steam ahead.

Link: http://www.breitbart.com/california/...esident-trump/

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Everyone said they were zero under Obama, so I guess this means Trump has deported one person, and he came back, so 60%.

Good enough, I guess.

3. Tenacious D

Who said there were zero deportations under Obama?

Not me. Surely there must have been one in 8 years.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

So Trump has now deported 1.6 people?

5. Tenacious D

Depends.

Did Obama only deport a single person?

My gut says that sounds right, but I have no hard facts to back it up.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is your fantasy. You tell me how many people are 60 % more.

7. Tenacious D

That you have conflated fact with fantasy is the least surprising thing, ever.

From the linked article (and the embedded link within that article, both provided here, again):
    I've included this, simply because I particularly enjoyed this part, and thought that you might, too:
    Is this the money shot? This passage was in the linked article, but was perhaps too easily overlooked:
    But, I agree with your overall point - that President Trump is allowing law enforcement to actually enforce the law, as he promised, and that is a very good thing for not only the rule of law, but the country as a whole.

Link: http://www.breitbart.com/california/2017/07/19/la-deportation-cases-jump-60-percent-president-trump/
    Link: http://www.scpr.org/news/2017/07/18/73792/deportation-cases-once-closed-now-reopened-up-more/

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Well, according to the article, there are two things of note, to me. One, a 60% bump doesn't seem like much considering the actual numbers of cases opened. It's fewer than 500 on LA, which seems negligible. Second, I like Obama's policy better of going after the criminal element as the priority over just a blanket sweep.

Regardless, I don't think Trump, as proven by his previous statements, has the first damn clue about how immigration works or the type of people involved and, like a lot of things today, this sort of thing is operating on autopilot without much direction from Trump.

And, of course, this is a Breitbart article, which is, literally, along with the National Enquirer, the propaganda wing of the administration.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Waiting for an actual LA resident to chime in. We got one of those up in here?

:)

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Deported, I think.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

You said Obama didn't deport anyone, then you said one. Like I said, this is your fantasy.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There are only a few posts in the thread. Come on.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

You know what I mean. We're led to believe that mongol hordes are coming up from Mexico and occupying the country while Obama does nothing. In reality, illegal immigration declined and enforcement actually increased.

Here Tenny says in reply to float that surely 1 was deported. He's dancing around the obvious that hundreds were deported before as well. If he can make asinine twists of logic regarding the previous administration, why can't I do the same with his insinuations and claims?

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It isn't even the number of deportations. It is deportation CASES. The system is so backlogged now they are just piling more on top.

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I seriously doubt enforcement truly went up during Obama's eight years.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

By what metric would you like to measure enforcement?

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The right one.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Please specify a metric on which to test your doubt.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Why?