Butch Jones Pass This Year

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Jul 24, 2017.

1. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

From everything I'm hearing from the media and fans, the majority are giving Butch a pass this year because of an "inexperienced" team. I don't believe we are an inexperienced team, but even if we were, how is that still an excuse in year 5?

7-5 or better Butch gets a pass.

Stuck with this mess at least through 2018.

2. cpninja

cpninja Member

The pity party disappears real quick when UT is 2-4 going into the annual beatdown from Bama

JMO

3. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Something in me still hopes that Currie looks at the Chip Kelly situation and realizes he can't pass up a chance to hire him unless Butch wins the east or something.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If he gets away with that excuse in year 5 we are screwed. I still think we get beat by GT and the wheels come off early.

5. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

I think there's too much talent for this season to be as bad as it needs to in order to get Butch fired.

I think we see a year like 2015

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Really depends on how the QB situation shakes out and the new OC. Defense will be good enough to keep us competitive, it will be the O that decides how the year goes.

7. BigOrangeBeech

The fact he can't coach aside, and keeping in mind that he's tried to leave in the past, I wonder just how much focus and effort he puts in this year. This with all the other variables (new OC who has never called a play, new QB, etc.) I tend to agree with you that it may very well blow up early.

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Our O-Line has something like the 2nd most starts of any O-Line in the country. LOL at inexperience.

9. BigOrangeBeech

Exactly. The D will have to pick up the slack for sure, because I jusy don't see the offense being better right away

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah with the exception of quarterback you can't really find a position group that doesn't have guys who have played a fair amount of football

Some top line guys are gone but generally the rest have seen action

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The general perception is still all about Dobbs, Hurd, Kamara, Malone, Barnett being gone. Therefore, we have no experience.

It's not accurate, but that's how Butch is spinning it and people seem to buy it.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The only position without a lot of depth is running back, but you've got a ridiculously good freshman coming in there in Chandler.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Defense should be infinitely times better.

Unless we have 05 or 08 QBing, there is no reason this team shouldn't be pretty good.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

And even there you've got 1 guy who's played a fair amount

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The 2017 team should be able to move the ball easily. Dormady looks like a legit QB and he's got Jennings, Byrd and Wolf that are proven receivers. Johnson looked good in limited action and Calloway was wasted last year. Kelly is going to run like he's pissed at the defense and the Oline is deep and experienced.

The defense has a lot of talent everywhere

17. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

I am taking the contested thought that we are going 9-3

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If Tennessee had a coach, that should be the floor.

Alabama and LSU are the only teams on paper better than Tennessee. Georgia and Florida are comparable with Tennessee.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Don't forget Ole Miss....

20. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

That would be funny if it was a legit play off what I'd said. You can do better.