Justin Fields, drawing comparisons to Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by VolDad, Jul 27, 2017.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Toward the end of Justin Fields‘ sophomore year at Harrison High School in Kennesaw, Georgia, he and his father wanted to take a recruiting visit to Tennessee. Ivan Fields called the Volunteers’ director of on-campus recruiting, who viewed Fields’ film, questioned his height and finally asked, “Are we even recruiting you guys?” Ivan and Justin Fields ended up begging to get into a Tennessee game that year, but didn’t exactly receive Southern hospitality. “They barely shook our hand,” Ivan Fields said, “and didn’t know who we were.”

Less than two years later, Justin Fields has emerged as the biggest name in high school recruiting, drawing comparisons to an embryotic Cam Newton. He’s the top uncommitted quarterback according to Rivals.com, choosing between bluebloods like Georgia, Florida State, Auburn and Alabama. Multiple MLB scouts told Yahoo Sports that he has the talent to be a first-round pick in baseball and will make a decision over the next few months as to what extent he’ll pursue that sport.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/meet-j...drawing-comparisons-cam-newton-204106857.html

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

3. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Has he stolen a laptop yet?

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

This is why, when your job relies so much on recruiting, you are nice to everyone. You never know who is going to hit a growth spurt or have a teammate that you want to recruit, whatever. Burning bridges is stupid and, as a high school coach, it always mystifies me when I see college coaches doing it

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Fulmer, before he quit trying, spent a lot of time getting teammates of guys he was recruiting on at smaller schools.

7. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Won't matter. He'd never see the field over Trevor Lawrence.

9. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Good thing we stole the white boy from Memphis I guess.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Evidently he visited UT multiple times after that incident, so that probably wasn't the dealbreaker.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, he's been here multiple times.

Shit happens in recruiting. I doubt the guy is committing if he gets the red carpet treatment as a sophomore here. He's already committed and de committed from Penn State.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, it isn't practical to let every freshman and sophomore HS player in the country attend any game they want. I don't think it is unreasonable for someone to try and figure out if we're recruiting him or who he is.

13. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

If Auburn's new offense works with Stidham and Gus can land this kid he may just save his job.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

**** Auburn

15. RockyHill

Eat a booger.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Well said.

17. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

One of these hyped QBs is bound to work out right?

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Eventually

19. RockyHill

Stidham will work out pretty well, how many wins that will translate to is anybody's guess. I have not watched any of Fields tape so I have not the first clue in him.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

[​IMG]