Summer Practice

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by zehr27, Jul 30, 2017.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It makes no sense

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I believe this is the answer. I think it has been most often called Fall Camp in college ball my entire adult life. I think high schools still call it "summer camp."

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think they were referring to him as a starter or "starter quality." I'm not shitting you, the staff and media are acting like he is going to be playing a lot. I claim no special knowledge of the game beyond that of an earnest fan, but... that guy just isn't at the same level as other MLB's in this conference. And he's given up multiple huge plays in the past by being a step too slow to react. And the whole time, the staff and media acted like everything was fine. He has been the turnstile in our defense more than once.

I mean no disrespect for the guy, I hope I'm wrong and he has a great season.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He is what he is. He's a solid MAC linebacker

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Dude went from terrible to bad and we have fans acting like he's an All-American.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Win.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I really don't hate on the kid, at all. He's about as much of an SEC-caliber LB as I am, but it's not his fault that they keep trotting him out there.

But that there exists even the possibility of his seeing any substantive playing time at all - much less in Jones' upcoming and FIFTH SEASON - is damnable indictment of this staff and the state of our program. It's equal parts inconceivable and inexcusable.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep, it's not his fault he's being put in a position to fail. He's actually made a handful of really good plays. Those don't excuse how terrible his mistakes are, but he's doing the best he can. If Tennessee's defense had 7 or 8 future nfl starters out there, he would be minimized.

There's better athletes at linebacker. There's no reason they aren't on the field over a very limited player.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We had a really long stretch there in the late Fulmer years up through Dooley where we just couldn't land many good LB recruits. Kiffin wasn't even doing well there, even with the recruiting buzz he brought. Butch has brought in quite a few talented guys, but it still seems we are never any better than having one good one and some forgettables around him.

10. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Chavis was pretty good at taking a DB or RB and converting them. Seems like development has been lacking for some time too.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Burnett, Simon and Gaither were a good trio but Simon kept getting hurt.

07 defense had Rico McCoy and Mayo, but you're right, they never seemed able to field 3 competent linebackers.

Kiffin brought Maggitt and AJ for the most part.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ellix Wilson and Nevin McKenzie were decent there at the end for Chavis and both of then were db converts

13. BigOrangeBeech

Wasn't Burnett a Safety

Westmoreland and Stevenson were both RBs IIRC

14. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

"If you want to load the box, load the box. Tennessee tried to load the box, and look what happened." - Derek Mason

GFD.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

pretty sure Burnett was a LB.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Burnett was outside linebacker. Played safety in high school.

17. BigOrangeBeech

That's what I thought

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Trey Smith is apparently the Khalil Mac of the offensive line. Killing people.

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

He looks like he's 35.

20. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Greg King was pretty good until he hurt his shoulder