Talent Gap

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Aug 8, 2017.

1. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Just some random research at work this morning. I looked at Bama, UF, UGA, and UT's combined 4 and 5 stars on the roster according to 247's composite rankings.

Bama-62
    UGA- 42
    UT-32
    UF-27

Not that this means a whole lot, but I was surprised Florida had so little 4 and 5 stars.

Side note-GA Tech only has two 4 stars on their entire roster.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I really don't get the UF hype. They haven't recruited near their usual standard and just lost 8 defenders (7 drafted) to the NFL.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

They suck every year and keep winning the division, I guess.

Butch Jones should be ashamed of himself

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Playing Bama and Lsu doesn't help. Only East should count. Yes I know candy and sc losses sucked but still, makes no sense for a team playing olemissdial and lame duck coach and qb less lsu should count the same as Playing #8 on the road and #1.

5. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

That's a bit disingenuous. We all know TAMU wasn't really that good.

6. Ssmiff

Didn't they lose their 5th year sr qb and several other players? Edit, Yes. They beat Ucla, #16 auburn on the road, #17 arky and lost to Bama, then Knight went down soon after. They were #7 when he got hurt.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

UCLA went 4-8. Auburn got beat by Georgia, and Arkansas is about the most up and down team in the SEC. If A&M were a good team, there's no way they are in a dog fight at home with a team that turned the ball over every other play.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Florida had a better record in the division than we did. You could exclude West games and they still go to the SECCG over us.

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I could live with a stipulation that any team that loses to Vandy is automatically disqualified from going to Atlanta.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee turned the ball over 6 times in regulation or that's a double digit win for the Vols.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes

12. Ssmiff

its a long season kpt. You have watched long enough to realize a team at one point of the year can easily be a different team a game or 2 later due to injuries, turnovers, coaching or whatever. Fact is Aggies were #7 with 4 wins against top 20 ranked teams at the time and only loss to Bama the week after our OT game.

13. Ssmiff

have watched that game at least 6 times. Crooms first down into the hands of a db. If Kamara goes out of bounds instead of trying his ass off, he doesn't get spun and fumble. JK fumble inside the 10. Dobbs trying to pick it up and score. Twice. And Dobbs one way read in OT to end the game sealed the deal. Absolutely horrible decision and throw that middle school qbs don't throw and see the dump down to the motion wr, who may score. I thought Butch coached a good game, but many blame him for the turnovers of course. Those are on the players on the field with the ball in their hands.
    We had the perfect offense for a stubborn blitzing coach. Sit back in zone and make Dobbs read defenses, protect the edge and spy him and you slowed us down.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  14. RockyHill

And that mattered when UT played them but with some hindsight we know that TAMU was never particularly good and didn't really have an impressive win the entire year.

15. Ssmiff

they had some of the same injury issues we had and lost their qb, so obviously they aren't going to be as good without those players.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They were mediocre in 2015 and they were mediocre in 2016. They, like us, looked really good because they didn't play anyone that great for the first five games. That's great they were a little better with someone else's backup QB, but they were never anything special.

17. RockyHill

The point is that even before the injuries they weren't *that* good. Not bad, but you said Tenn had to play #8 on the road. It's ok for rankings to drive the narrative during the year when we have limited data but at year's end we all knew that injured or not A&M was hardly a juggernaut.

18. Ssmiff

You either played #8 on the road or didnt. Didn't say they were a juggernaut.

19. RockyHill

You didn't, but you did say playing Ole Miss and LSU shouldn't count the same as playing Bama and TAMU. Ole Miss and LSU both beat TAMU. Injuries or not that kind of kills the argument.