Charlottesville

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Aug 13, 2017.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

How have we come to this? It is tragic and depressing.

All the vitriolic rhetoric has led to a state of tension that I just cannot fathom.

2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Rich Lowry, as usual, is spot on in his assessment:

We aren’t experiencing anything like the level of political violence of the late-1960s and mid-1970s. But we now have two fringes on the right and the left, the white nationalists and anti-fa, who have a taste for violence, love the thrill and attention that comes with it, and are probably going to grow stronger rather than weaker. Depressing.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is really inevitable for things like this to happen, with the level of rancor in the extremes. We normalized calling people nazis, fascists, communists, and worse. Naturally, actual proponents of those systems were then empowered as thinking they were not as as much in the fringe.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm not sure what can be commented on. You have a bunch of racists that feel empowered by the political situation in the US that they've not had in 50-60 years and are acting on it. You've got anarchists who are willing to fight them. This is probably the first of many.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

White supremacists fighting for a statue of Robert E Lee would be disappointed if they knew what the guy stood for.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

But lets not pretend many of these statues were put up 100 years after the war right in the middle of desegregation by coincidence.

I am not in favor of vandalizing them or destroying them. Putting them in different spaces and in context is the right thing to do. Lee is very much so an interesting figure. However, he still betrayed his oath to uphold the constitution and defend the united states. The context of who put up a lot of these statues, when, and why is just as valid as the people that the statues memorialize themselves. As is the appropriateness of their location.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

He may be the single most misunderstood figure in American history. People from all sides have twisted him into something that he simply wasn't.

In the end, he was a very good tactician who was probably made to look better by Union incompetence. He owned slaves and by some accounts didn't treat them well, but it certainly would appear that he felt the institution of slavery was a bad thing, although he also felt that Africans were better off in America.

Of course this all comes from my research into him a decade ago, so I could be a little off base in some of those assertions.

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Lee himself disliked the idea of statues being raised in his honor

9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Can we discuss how monumentally stupid it is that Trump still hasn't flatly denounced white supremacy, Nazis, etc?

You can't run your campaign and constantly harp on "radical Islamic terrorism" and why it should be called as such, and then refuse to take the all time political slam dunk "Nazis are bad, mmmmkay?" and not come out looking bad.

10. CardinalVol

When they were a targeted demographic to get elected, you kind of can't turn on them.

It's insanely sad, infuriating, and comical all at once.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

While we are at it can we discuss how the media gave Obama a pass and are apoplectic now.... they say what does he mean both side; are the forgetting BLM, Berkeley, many other anarchist riots.

One news cast started this morning by saying that the young woman does "standing up for peace".

My first thought is seeing the protest was - Who the **** are these people? Are their lives so miserable that they have nothing better to do on a beautiful Saturday than to fight each other? Why aren't they out on a boat, having a picnic, cutting the grass, etc. generally doing what normal people do?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Apparently he said enough to anger David Duke.

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Well the daily stormer told me she was a fat whore, so clearly she couldn't have been up to any good.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Are you saying this woman was rioting or committing a crime? Or had? Or intended to? I know of no evidence of that. This can't be Travon Martined away.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm also super confident a constitutional lawyer who was elected to high office has come down unfavorably on anarchy, if one just pauses and thinks on what anarchy is.

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

No excuse for what happened to her. Was she standing up for peace; or was she there to counter white nationalist, etc?

Standing up for peace implies the others were there for violence. It is my understanding they were there for white pride and to protest the removal of a statue.

17. TennTradition

Standing to face off against white nationalists - a group with a history of violent acts, including the one that was going to end up taking her life - is a form of standing up for peace.

If she is there to do that and willing to get violent if needed,, then she is still doing good work but probably not standing up for peace.

I think I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on this one.

18. CardinalVol

I thought she was with a non antifa group? Am I wrong?

19. TennTradition

I have no idea what are affiliation was.

I did read that she has generally focused her efforts on addressing issues of exploitation. Seems to have been a good person with a strong social conscious.

.....or, you know...a fat whore who couldn't even fulfill her only utility as a woman and propagate the species....

Just a matter of perspective.

20. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

From the NYTimes:

Brian Moran, Virginia’s secretary of public safety and homeland security, was watching the events from a command post on the sixth floor of a Wells Fargo bank on the downtown mall. There were sporadic fights. “I compare it to hockey,” he said. “Often in hockey there are sporadic fights, and then they separate.”

I think Mr. Moran is a dumbass.