Thinking of going to Chicago for St. Patty's weekend.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by WM, Mar 12, 2012.

Tags:
  1. WM

WM Active Member

Never been, point me in the direction of things to do for a three day weekend.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Quite possibly the best American city.

My favorite pizza: Giordano's
    My favorite sandwich: Portillo's
    My favorite bar: Billy Goat Tavern
    My favorite nightlife: Second City Comedy
    Place I haven't Been But Want to Go to: Hot Doug's (a hot dog and sausage stand)

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Also just a few other things. The whole neighborhood around Wrigley Field is neat. Also if you head south the University of Chicago has a cool campus with some Frank Lloyd Wright architecture if you are into that sort of thing.

4. WM

WM Active Member

Thanks jo, this is sort of spur of the moment planning. Had some time off and thought this might be a great time as ever to take the short trip by train or car.
    I do wonder how chaotic it's going to be with St Patrick's day and all. Seeing the parade would be enjoyable I would think.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I can't argue with anything here particularly thr statement about the greatest American city. It's the most friendly laid back large city to which my travels have taken me. In NY, you say hello to a stranger walking down the street, it's more likely than not that the reply you get will be a loud "[uck fay] you!" (At least a go to hell look). Do the same in Chicago more often than not you'll get a "Hello, how are you?" Stay away from the pizzarias of Lou Malnatti's and Uno's. Grossly overrated, imo. Pizza is one area where NY style kicks Chicago style deep dish's ass.

I hear it's a great place to become a community organizer, get involved in dirty politics, and become a Sal Alinsky follower..... At least that's what Obama haters say. :) (That was a joke for those that take this sort of stuff very seriously.)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  6. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Bump. Heading to Chi Aug 5-11 for work. Should be able to do some damage with 6 nights in the city. Staying downtown/river north area. Anyone else have any chicago suggestions?

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'll be there for 5 days the first week of September beside the Drake

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I feel like NYC has that locked up pretty tightly.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I like them both but for different reasons. Chicago people put it over the top, though, and I find it to have a certain charm that NY doesn't have.

-------

HH, you should also try Greek Islands Restaurant in Greektown. Touristy, but the food is excellent. Also grab popcorn from Garrett's in O'Hare for the plan ride home... Chicago mix-style.